John Scofield technique for playing on tunes

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vivacuica, Feb 28, 2012.

1. vivacuica

vivacuica Member

Hey guys--

Scofield did a clinic some years back that covers how he approaches learning to play over the chord changes of any tune.

There were some nice solos he did during the clinic that showed his technique so I've transcribed them along with explanations. You can find them here:

http://somuchsound.blogspot.com/2012...tice-tune.html

If anyone else knows about clinics like this one where the player speaks specifically about how they practice I'd be interested to hear it.

2. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

very cool sean! there are a few wayne krantz lessons on his site (at $5 a pop they're a no-brainer) where he talks about rhythm, harmony, and melody and how he practices those things. i wish more of my favorite jazz musicians would release recordings of themselves practicing or talking about specific ways in which they practice new tunes

3. CHyde

CHyde Member

Thanks for posting! I'm gonna dig into this after my gig this afternoon. Some info in here I've been after. Thanks again!!!

4. Rob G

Rob G Member

Awesome, thanks for posting!

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Were cool. Thank you for posting that.

6. cbstrat

cbstrat Supporting Member

Carl Verheyen gave a clinic here in Denver and was very specific about his approach as well as the music biz. He was very open and answered a lot specific questions from the audience both during the show and after. A very informative evening worth catching.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

Awesome, thanks!!

8. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I recently got an email from National Guitar Workshop indicating that Sco would be their guest instructor at one of their sessions. You may want to look into going to that.

9. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

cool. he feels the same way i do about "giant steps". it's just too damn hard.

10. vivacuica

vivacuica Member

Yeah Wayne is really great at explaining his concepts. It seems like a lot of these guys, though they may be great players are kind of lousy at explaining how they got so good. That's why it's always nice to stumble on this kind of core information of how they practice. I bet Scofield is a pretty good teacher.