John Shanks studio rig

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Anje, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hello guys, I thought I would share this here if some of you haven't seen it yet; some great cool insight video done by Tim of John's main studio rig:

I found it's a nice follow-up to the "Gibson collection" episode that came out recently.
    Thanks to Tim & John for sharing :beer

2. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Yes, That was a good watch.

3. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting this! That was AWESOME!! :)

I would love to be able to configure something similar with my own gear......and I have a couple of questions:

Shanks said that that he mics his 4x12 cabinet, which is housed in an enclosed box, and he uses the mic-pre to feed his rack mixer / rack FX, and that great tone is being heard in the video via the studio playback monitors.

I'd like to replicate this process, without using an actual microphone.

Since I am slaving my amp into my Suhr Reactive Load, I am getting the amp's preamp, and power section captured by the Suhr load, and that load is basically an emulation of a GB-loaded 4x12. So, this process is sort of emulating the process of using a mic......agreed?

If I send the balanced output of the Suhr RL into my mixer and effects, I "should" be able to then send that signal to a couple of QSC powered monitors, and these monitors will capture the amp sound, as well as provide a high-quality representation of the effects. So, this is really emulating what he is doing with the studio playback monitors.....agreed?

Would I need an analog speaker sim, or digital IR of some kind in this equation? I'm not sure that I would because I already have that GB-loaded 4x12 represented in the Suer Load....

Thanks for the help! ;)

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

We had this thread last week. Just sayin.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  5. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Was it in the "Rack Space"?

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Ian, yes you still need a speaker sim of some sort in your signal chain if you don't want to mic your cab "for real".
    The Suhr RL is only replicating the "impedance load" of a speaker/cab from the amp output stage point of view, so that it (the amp) behaves as close as possible as when it's plugged into a real speaker/cab. The signal that comes out of the amp & Suhr RL is still not filtered by a guitar speaker.

I would think the Suhr RL IR instead would be a perfect candidate for what you want to achieve, just use the "IR filtered out" then out to your rack rig & monitors.

Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Member

Ah, ok got it! Thanks Anje! :)

If I my retailer is open this week, I will get some gear, and test this out! :)

8. rustolium

rustolium Member

Yes, good advice. There are a lot of cool ways to do this. The Suhr RL IR and UAD OX are great all in one solutions. Since you have one of the best load boxes already, you could go with a more powerful IR unit. The Two-Notes C.A.B M could take the line out of your SRL and give you huge flexibility. If you want it all in a single rack space the Two-notes Live will do it. There are several other great units I don't have experience with.

Just throwing in more info to look at. Where you are going is awesome land.

Ian likes this.
  9. Ian

Ian Member

Ok, thanks for the help! This is GREAT!

I already have the Suhr load box, and would prefer ideally to keep it, instead of posting it for sale, etc....That is a hassle! :)

What is it about the Two Notes C.A.B. that you find more appealing?

Have you ever compared the load box portion of the Two Notes Live to the Suhr RL?

Thanks for the help! much appreciated! :)

10. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Ian, I've had the Two Notes Live 1U rack few years ago, didn't really bond with it for some reason, was getting some annoying noise with it when loading down my amps.
    Much prefer the Suhr RL I have now.
    Honestly if you are ready to change your load box and like what you get from your Suhr RL now just swap for a RL IR. Same great load w/ built in IRs, makes for a no brainer.
    If you prefer to keep the RL, then look for some of the dedicated speaker emulation boxes; IR or not, lots of options those days.

One additional option would be to use your DAW for the IR, but that would mean interfacing your rack effect gear with the DAW; sounds more like something appropriate to a studio recording/mixing desk situation though, not sure it worth the hassle just to play around.

11. rustolium

rustolium Member

I have not done any official deep dive to compare the loads. I am able to use either just fine. That is certainly a subjective thing and you would have to test it yourself. It often comes down to a feel thing as well. I have a lot of amps and they all behave different so I have gotten pretty good at adapting. I currently own and use the OX, Suhr RL, Two-Notes Live (2) products in this category.

Regarding features, Two-Notes have been doing this a long time and to me it shows in their offering. The software is really cool and affords a lot of flexibility. You can do things like only run your pre-amp section or a pre-amp pedal/rack unit in and use it's power amp modeling along with the mic/speaker IRs. You can also run any third-party IRs so you have a lot of tone shaping capability. The only issue is they have several products with different combinations of features so read carefully before you make your choice.

I think the combo of your SRL and the C.A.B M would be stellar. Sweetwater has them for $319. Simply switching out to a Suhr RLIR would be stellar as well and certainly easier and to the point.

JmpOne and Ian like this.
  12. Ian

Ian Member

This is Awesome! :)

I just saw a demo vide from Shawn Tubbs on the Two Notes CAB M, an did looks pretty straightforward from a editing perspective!

What I like about this unit is that you can "blend" 2 different microphones as you like......I am not sure if this feature is available in the Suhr RL-IR? I need to investigate more on that.....

Pricing on it is also great! It really is a toss-up for me.....either buy the CAB M, or upgrade the Suhr RL to the RL-IR.....but I bet the overall feature set in the Two Notes is more extensive......at least that's my initial impression.....I'll look at both tonight and make the call!

Thanks! :)

13. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    $3 million dollars later..............

Soothsayer likes this.
  14. rustolium

rustolium Member

You have the right thinking and understanding of the options.

I will say, you can most certainly do blended mic options on Suhr RLIR, they are just pre-processed IRs you can make yourself or get from lots of third parties and load them up. The Two-Nots just has a cool way to do it live in the product.

15. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

I've had my original version Torpedo Cab since 2014. When the pedal folk had their "pedal of the decade" thread a while back the Tcab was my choice. It's transformed what I can achieve when recording direct. Whether at home with my amps and rack preamps etc. Or when going elsewhere to record I can keep my rig super light and portable, I can do 80% of what I want with a compressor, valve preamp pedal, and Tcab.

It's even useful when not going direct but wanting more flexibility or to keep stage volumes manageable. In the same way a drive pedal can expand or enhance what you get from a preamp, the Tcab gives me fine tuned poweramp colouration/ambience/EQ/level controlled by midi into either a valve or solid state poweramp that then doesn't need to be cranked to the sweet spot. If I want no poweramp colour on a loud solo tone, but lots of colour on a quieter rhythm tone it's perfectly doable. :)

Aside from all that if you getting the RLIR ties your digital speaker sim function to your analogue load function, it's to be expected the digital side will advance, you've got independent upgrade paths for either by keeping them separate.

Anyway, despite my raving about the Tcab, either route is likely going to expand what you can do significantly. You should be enjoying better tones shortly! :)

16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

You can make your own blends in MixIR2.

Marioverkill likes this.
  17. Ian

Ian Member

Thanks John! I had to google what MixIR2 was actually....lol! ;)

I'm leaning toward getting the Suhr RL-IR, basically because I can use the on-board cabs, or others like the Redwirez, etc.....For me, this seems to be the "simplest" path. Once I have a good sounding 4x12, I will seldom, if ever, change it.....

John, just curious......has there there any further talk on the possibility of a 16-Ohm version of the RL-IR?

Thanks!