John Sykes sound on Whitesnake '87

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rockrz, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

If someone wanted to re-create the studio of John Sykes playing on Whitesnake's '87 album... what equipment would one use?

I know there are some experts on here, much more knowledgeable than myself who is a vocalist but just tinkers with guitar enough to get an idea for a tune across to a real musician... just thought I'd ask since there's bound to be a few metal heads on here.

So, starting with the guitar itself... what would the list of equipment be that would be needed to re-create this sound?

2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

3. jaime136

jaime136 Supporting Member

From his own site: http://www.johnsykes.com/Equipment/index.html

bronzejames2 likes this.
  4. Tune Up

Tune Up Member

Basically, a Les Paul Custom with a Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker in the bridge. Mesa Boogie Mk III w/EQ, a wah pedal (ran as an eq/filter) then add chorus, reverb, delay as needed. This should get you close to Sykes tones.

Any closer and you'll need his exact setup, Bob Rock, oh, and his fingers.

5. sws1

sws1 Member

It also sounds like the rhythm guitars are double or triple tracked, making it very very thick.

6. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Just want to say, "Is This Love" has one of the most badass guitar solos I've ever heard.

7. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

Not to mention the understanding and vision gained by his years of experience... that's the tricky part

Funny thing about the radio version of this song... the lead was played by Dann Huff (Reference: Legends of Rock Guitar article here )

Dann Huff also played the opening licks of Sweet Child of Mine by GNR.

8. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

That's a new one on me.

9. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

Yeah, apparently Dann Huff has played studio guitar for many well known artists according to this reference

Normally stuff posted like this are true, otherwise those that know it isn't would speak up.

10. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

Actually... Dann played on a re-done version of "Here I Go Again." There's only one version of "Is This Love" and that is Sykes. I just read the page you linked to and there are many inaccuracies written there.

To answer the original question, as mentioned on the Sykes web page, John used two Boogie Mark III Coliseums and then doubled those rhythm parts--so you are often hearing 4 amps.

11. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

Yeah, too bad there's no electronic gadget you could plug in and emulate different famous guitar picker's sounds...

Seems like with today's high tech computer equip / software there would be something available like this. Maybe it's not cost effective.

12. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

This is correct. It was Here I Go Again.

Josh

13. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

This is the Dan Huff version of the Here I Go Again solo, which I had never heard until recently. Adrian's is much better IMO-

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I don't understand the part in bold, is this something that John did, and if not, wouldn't it yield a difference in tone?

Also, just know that, recorded tone (multitracked/eq'd to fit a mix/producer tricks) =/= live tone (in the room, etc).

15. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I know Keith Olsen who produced this record and he told me from his accounts... A lot of what was also used was Keith's stock Marshall 100w 2x12 that used a Kasha Quickmod quite. He also may have used a Rockmod I in some instances. That redone solo by Dan Huff was done in 1 take in a bout 5 min. He called Dan to come over since he couldn't wait any longer for Sykes to redo it over in England. Apparently Dan motored on over pulled his guitar out of the car (no case), waltzed in took one listen and flew it down and waltzed back out.

I've got a great one about Still Of The Night parts, but not sure he'd want me to share that one...

16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

You can't dangle that gourmet meal in front of us and not serve it up! :D

17. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

I can't imagine why they would need to bring someone else in when they had John Sykes available... surely he's good enough to be play different versions to satisfy the record company's marketing department isn't he?

I know they were wanting a radio friendly version, but don't understand why John's cut couldn't be used or maybe have him re-record some parts to make 'em happy.

18. Rockrz

Rockrz Member

Opps, sorry... just noticed the post above explaining that John Sykes wasn't available as quickly as they needed him.

19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Good Lord! (pun intended), Everybody knows the original version is the best! No "drifters" here!

20. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Well, that explains why Vandenberg's solo sounds more thought out. It was!