Johnny A Gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DannyTolchiner, Dec 17, 2009.

1. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

I want a Johnny A more than I have wanted a guitar in a LONG time....What do you guys think? I've never actually played one, but I LOVE the fact that they are totally hollow and have the longer fender scale! Anyone played them, or know anything about them that I should know???

2. nosacter

nosacter Member

There are a couple of recent threads on the JA--do a search if you haven't already.. Overall reviews are very positive. I wouldn't mind one, but it's a lot of coin.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I want one just as bad. I've done extensive research and everyone who has one loves it. M Ward has a gloss black Sig model which I really dig. I'm terrified that once Gibson cottons onto how good they are for the money, they'll stop production and prices will soar.

4. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

I was unfamiliar with the M Ward model.....are those cheaper than the Johnny A?....I found a picture of him with what looks like a black Johnny A on google.....different model?
    [​IMG]

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

No, No, :facepalm I meant that M Ward has a gloss black Johnny A sig model. There are two Johnny As: A)The Johnny A Signature which has a maple top, gold hardware, and typically has a sunburst flame maple top but is also available in natural, transparent black flame, or gloss black; B) The Johnny A standard, which has a mahognay top, nickel hardware, and is generally either a reddish mahogany (ginger) or black.

Ward's balck Johnny A sig looks like a guitar Darth Vader would play and I think it's devastatingly beautiful.

6. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

oh hahah I'm sorry.....i see now! yeah, no question about it....prettiest guitars that i'm familiar with that are/have been produced....not to mention that if i were to build my own custom guitar it would probably have near identical specs to the Johnny A!

7. chakosh

chakosh Member

One of my dream guitars. Wildwood has a couple that I made the mistake of playing, and wanting even more. Great tone, great playability, and gorgeous. Good choice.

I wish I could tell you something negative, but I loved the way it played and sounded thru a 50W EL-34 based amp (Roccaforte 50).

8. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

One of the guys at work has one and it is an absolutely beautiful guitar in every way. Excellent tone, playablity, and beautiful to look at. Spent a few hours with it in the studio and really don't think you can go wrong if you are looking for that type of rig.
    He has had it for about 6 months and is still crazy for it.

9. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

What kind of music/tones does he play with it? I'm looking to get into one of these also...Had my eye on a used one @ Wildwood but noticed they've pulled it off of their website so must have sold...

10. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

It's nicest Gibson I have seen in a long time. Attention to detail is superb. The Johny A has a ton of tones in there, very versatile. Gi

11. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I think they are one of the prettiest guitars out there. When I had a chance to try one out, though, I was very unimpressed (for whatever reason). I tried it out along with a 335. The setup may not have been great (staying in tune w/ the Bigsby; I have other guitars that behave very nicely w/ them) but it just didn't get to me like I wanted it to.

Just my 2 cents on one particular guitar in a particular store.

12. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

I own one and it is by far my favorite axe. It gives me shivers every time I play a note. Unreal tone, clean AND dirty! I wouldn't trade or sell it for anything. Everything else is collecting dust ;)

13. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

I can't stand a Bigsby. Oh, I love what other guys do with 'em but they irritate the crap out of me when I try to use one.

So I got a stoptail model ;)

[​IMG]