Johnny Depp (apparently) blew his money on guitars.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrAstro, Jun 23, 2018.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I was reading this article which says the no.2 reason Johnny Depp blew his 880m fortune was guitars. I have 12 or 13 of them he has 70.

Somehow I don't think 70 guitars is going to blow $880M so I have to conclude that the newspaper is being a little disingenuous here :) 70 * $10,000 is only $700,000 and most guitars wouldn't cost $10k so I'm being pretty worst case here. In my case 13 * say $2500 is only $32,500 and some people have boats or motorcycles worth that. So no big deal.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...n/news-story/0c2649cba91dc8facc59eea8a9cb5cd8

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Unless he collected vintage instruments, and even then, it's a stretch to get near $800m with 70 instruments.

archey, sahhas, VooDooClown and 9 others like this.
  3. time2kill

time2kill Member

Shouldn't be a problem. As all of his collectable guitars have increased in value, he could sell them and get $100 million.
    :sarcasm

4. wetordry

wetordry Member

Um, ok.
    Then he's not broke, if he bought well.

2 mill a month to maintain a lifestyle.

5. A-Bone

Just so long as he avoids Craigslist and E-Bay, and can steer clear of lowballers.

6. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

It's a not a rule that you can blow your money on guitars anyway. It's more a of a set of guidelines.

7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Even if he bought 70 real ‘59 LPs for $500K each, it would be nowhere near $880M.

So they are saying Depp was worth $654M US dollars? The top 2 in Hollywood are only worth $800M each and Mel Gibson is third at $425M. So Depp was third richest in Hollywood at some point it seems.

8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

9. A-Bone

Indeed. Those Pirates films were a license to print money.

Gilky, JiveTurkey, RCCola and 10 others like this.
  10. Neenja

Neenja Member

Depp, seems to have some problems, and I would say that there is no better person for a person with Depp's problems to be hanging out with than Alice Cooper.

11. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

Come on, you guys don’t have full time care takers for each of your guitars?

12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I do recall in the late 90's he was buying up every Veleno he could find, which
    drove up prices like crazy.

He gifted several to the guys in Marilyn Manson.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

"Depp lived an ultra-extravagant lifestyle that often knowingly cost Depp in excess of $2 million a month to maintain, which he simply could not afford."

Kump pressed on, arguing that "Depp has also spent millions to employ an army of attorneys"

There was $75 million for 14 residences. He spent $3 million to shoot his pal Hunter S. Thompson's ashes into the sky from a cannon. A mere $7,000 to buy his daughter a couch from the set of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. He bought some 70 guitars and 200 pieces of art, including Basquiats and Warhols, owned 45 luxury vehicles and spent $200,000 a month on private air travel.

Then things got personal. According to the suit, Depp kept a sound engineer on the payroll so he could feed him lines through an earpiece while filming. This Depp does not deny, saying the sounds fed to him made him act with just his eyes.

But that didn't explain the 12 storage facilities for his Hollywood memorabilia, heavy on Brando and Marilyn Monroe. Mandel alleged Depp spent $1.2 million to keep a doctor on call and another $1.8 million a year on round-the-clock security, including for his elderly mother. (When asked why his mom needed security, Depp responded that it was in case she needed an ambulance, according to sources with intimate knowledge of the conversation. TMG tried to convince Depp a nurse would be cheaper, but he couldn't be persuaded.) Kump suggested the source of Depp's problems was psychiatric: "In retrospect, it appears that Depp may suffer from a compulsive-spending disorder, which will be proven in this action through a mental examination of Depp."

"It's insulting to say that I spent $30,000 on wine," says Depp. "Because it was far more."

Depp says they got the Hunter S. Thompson cannon story wrong too. "By the way, it was not $3 million to shoot Hunter into the ****ing sky," says Depp. "It was $5 million."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/johnny-depp-lawsuit-marriage-w521671

14. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

No way. That is less than $1M. He made way more than that. One movie would be way more than that. He has a yacht. He spends $70k a month in wine. He has tons of workers that he employees, about a million a year. A studio that he spends a lot per month not even considering the initial cost of it. He has many homes. The dude blows money like drinking water. He is over-the-top with his spending habits. I don’t feel sorry for him at all.

Jules, rsm, Antmax and 3 others like this.
  15. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

He also spent a fortune on a wine cellar and collection.

To which his former mgr, whom he is suing, said "It's not a collection when you
    drink it all" :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  16. Mark 63

Mark 63 Silver Supporting Member

Basquiat sells for many millions.

17. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Jay Leno is yet to spend the first dollar he made from the Tonight Show.

H. Mac likes this.
  18. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I hope pistol and boo haven't pee'd in the guitar cases

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deeohgee likes this.
  19. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Man if there's one thing I can't stand, it's when rich people buy stuff that I like.
    I saw a 150 foot Mutiara Laut schooner for sale. I'm retired so it'll take my entire life savings to buy it and I don't know the first thing about sailing but...
    No matter, I gotta do it.
    I'll get like 10 pages of slagging (read attention) on the boat forum!