Johnny Hallyday RIP

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mr.FirebirdVII, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Mr.FirebirdVII

Mr.FirebirdVII Member

The French national icon and rock and roll hero has passed away.

Adieu Johnny et merci pour la musique.

A couple of choice tracks (I think Johnny grabbed Mick Jones from Sylvie Vartan`s backing group for these):

N`y Crois Pas (1966)

La Generation Perdue (1966)

Hanging out with Hendrix and Chas Chandler in `66....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/dec/06/johnny-hallyday-obituary

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    JimmyB, LHakim and Chrome Dinette like this.
  2. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Sa gueule va nous manquer. Repose en paix.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    JimmyB, Mr.FirebirdVII and A-Bone like this.
  3. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Just heard about this today!! One of my favorite movies was The Man On The Train. What a legend!

4. unholdsworthy

unholdsworthy Member

I wasn't familiar with the man's music, but I had seen part of a film he had been in recently, a very violent film in which he goes after his daughter's family's killers. It's primarily an Asian film, and the daughter's a white Frenchwoman who's married to an Asian auditor, and I thought JH looked kind of Asian as well (something weird going on with his makeup, maybe, almost kind of like making Peter Ustinov look like Charlie Chan). So I looked him up on IMDb and found out in fact that he was an iconic French rocker. I don't know, but for some reason he and that French actress were in an otherwise all-Asian movie.

5. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Wow, I had no idea what happened to him. Have I heard about him since the 60s? I don't know. Nothing sticks out.

The French were not known for their rock until Prog when a style came along that fitted with their culture. Johnny was probably the best I can remember. Sorry to hear of his death.

6. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

An acquaintance (English guy) played guitar for Johnny for a couple of years in the 70's. He had a great time and said Johnny was a great guy. He was such an idol that if Johnny and the band went to a club or restaurant they never paid for anything - the owners wouldn't accept his money.