Johnny Hiland slow blues

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by CRAIG4FSU, May 9, 2015.

1. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I dig this out every now and then,,,,,then sell all my gear.He can play any style and does a very nice job on the blues stuff.He decides to put on a slide clinic around half way through.

Long,but,worth your time.

2. riff1006

riff1006 Member

Great stuff. Nice rhythm section and that bass is killer.

3. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Yep, he is quite the player.

4. hotmod

hotmod Member

Killer chops every time..

5. CRAIG4FSU

Not bad for a guy that can barely see the fret board.Talk about being comfortable as a musician when playing live.Commanding the band and if they're not looking to you for the breaks,etc,you're listening to them.He says people appear as blurry silhouettes.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

He seems to get better every time I hear him play. In addition to being legally blind, the last time I saw him, he smoked and was 100+lb overweight. He is fairly short. I sure would like to see him get a handle on his health so we can have him around for many years to come.

One of the nicest and most humble guys you can meet. I know this is said about many players. He stuck around and answered every question and signed every item at NGW after a performance and master class. Some guys from camp and I went to see him live in DT Nashville a few days later. You'd have thought we were old friends from way back the way he treated us. Class act. I wish him all the success in the world.

7. CRAIG4FSU

Very cool to hear.I like hearing these kinds of stories when musicians I like turn out to be down to earth.

Johnny kind of reminds me of Paul Gilbert in that he doesn't run out of licks.

8. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

His weight isn't necessarily a sign that he has health problems.

9. Greentone

Greentone Member

Right, because its totally healthy to be as overweight as Hiland is. :facepalm

10. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

Phenomenal technique but there's not much soul in that video.
    I have the impression that all the time he's just showing how good he is with the guitar.

11. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Hiland's guitar tone was so much better when he used the PRS. Someone said he changed amps when he went to Musicman guitars and it may be the difference I am hearing. Great style of playing. I like the hybrid picking without the country thin bridge tone. Very fast and accurate player. Hard working musician. Always ready to voice a good word about everything he uses and business people he cares about. He deserves more success in the music world. He can hold his own as a musician in Nashville and any other competitive venue yet he is mostly seen plugging gear for a living.

12. CRAIG4FSU

He's currently a Reeves man.

13. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I like the Reeves clean tones demoed with the Les Paul. Tele demo is nice too. They are all nice.

Might have been the CEC Brigand he was using because of the timeframe which I heard of the amp change. I see he eventually had a signature CEC.

14. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

He's a killer player. Real nice guy too.

15. CRAIG4FSU

That thing sounded heavenly.

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Years and years ago - very early 2000s - I was in Nashville. It was 3 in the afternoon and I was at a bar with my GF listening to a house band. I had a drink and went to the washroom.

A guy walks in. He was huge. Turns out he used to head Willie Nelson's security detail. He said to me, "If you want to see a great player get down to (forgot the bar name - it's on Broadway) around 8 and you'll see the new guitar slinger in town. His name is Johnny Hiland." So I went with my GF.

Sat about 15 feet from the stage. Place got sort of crowded. Band comes out. Johnny was playing his gold sparkle Tele through a '65 Twin reissue.

The guy blew me away. Chops for days/miles. Finger picking. Flat picking. Slide. Country. Blues. Rock. Pop. And he sang like an angel.

I went back home to Chicago and learned as much as I could about him. I spoke with a writer that had just done a piece about him. Said he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet - and utterly humble.

When I saw him play - it was probably the most humbling experience I have had as a musician....and I've seen some great players. What a talent.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

Its fascinating to watch how he does most of what he does with 3 fingers on the fretting hand unless he's using his slide.

One of my friends invented the Run-Barr he uses now on most of his primary guitars.

Johnny is Nashville " A" List, because a studio or producer can book him for 8 hours
    and get a good solid 7 hours of usable tracks out of the session.

18. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Hmmmm.

Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Ooooooookaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy..............

I will not bite. I will not bite. I will not bite.

19. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I love the first couple minutes. Bringing' it real.

20. DC1

DC1 Member

I will not criticize such a good guy and such a great player.

But intimidated? Gonna sell my gear?

Hardly.

If anything, great playing should inspire us, and remind us that the music biz has great players all over the place. Typically playing to small crowds.

What do you have to say? This is what Johnny has to say. Don't try to compete with him. You can't.

But we each have some gift. Go find it.

As you were...

dc