Johnny Marr Talks "MultiEffects"

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
i started out with budget multi's as a kid...Don't miss what it did to my basic tone. But i do miss the ability to drastically change mood from patch to patch, within a song. With pedals i'm often too much about subtle shades. Sometimes dramatic change within a song really is more powerful.

Johnny sounds great, as always.
cheers

Last edited:

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I use my GT-100 a lot, basically rotating it with my stompboard/amps based on my needs/whims. MFX devices have definitely come a long way in the last 10-12 years. But I totally understand that they aren't for everyone.

Johnny is a great and creative player.

Peace,

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
It looks like he's getting paid by Boss, though the endorsement it obviously genuine, I've seen him live using his GT-5 and on tv using the GT-100.

They're fantastic units, I used a GT-3 for over ten years and recently got a GT-10. Though I use them with external dirt pedals and a few other things - basically two pedalboards. If you like to work from a very large pallet of sounds and have the patience to program patches it's a great way to go.

Cool video. I think the thing that he's onto is that the key issue is the user's philosophy of how to work within the strengths of the multi-effect. Multi-effects aren't supposed to be used exactly like the analog boards. Lot's of options are available, but it's just more time on the front end to prepare everything.

It seems like everything related to post punk/synth pop/mope rock/etc was Boss/Roland based.

Smiths
Cure
Cocteau Twins
Joy Division
echo and the bunnymen
The Church

It just sounds good.

rust_in_peace

Awesome video. I love his philosophy. I started off with a Boss multi unit (ME-30?) back in the day, and it was a great of figuring out what effects were for me and which weren't. While I use a bunch of analog boxes in my rig, I still have an M9 on my board, because I like having the ability to quickly pull up any effect that a song might call for.

BTW, did anyone catch how he was using the two switches in front of the Boss unit?

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
It just sounds good.
I think this video (and many like it) underscore that, a) there is a lot of great gear out there, and b) there is no right/wrong way to sound great. It's one of the reasons I sometimes bristle when people talk in absolutes regarding gear. Sorry, there really aren't many (perhaps none).

Peace,

I think this video (and many like it) underscore that, a) there is a lot of great gear out there, and b) there is no right/wrong way to sound great. It's one of the reasons I sometimes bristle when people talk in absolutes regarding gear. Sorry, there really aren't many (perhaps none).

Peace,
I agree, man. a good melody through middle of the road gear gear is fine with me, as long as it's not squealing or crackling.

All of this Johnny Marr talk is making me want to sell some pedals, and fire up my Boss SE-50.

OHSOFUZZY

i started out with budget multi's as a kid...Don't miss what it did to my basic tone. But i do miss the ability to drastically change mood from patch to patch, within a song. With pedals i'm often too much about subtle shades. Sometimes dramatic change within a song really is more powerful.

Johnny sounds great, as always.
cheers
+1

In the past I ran a GT6, and then the GT8.
I put my dirt pedals in the loop, used it to change my amp channels, and had all of our songs pre-programmed.
One stomp and all changes to amp, and effects were done. that was very nice.

As you experienced, I also found that having the GT in between amp and guitar did dull the tone a little.....which certainly sucks.
Some say the effects aren't as good....which is somewhat true, imo, but properly dialed in and live.......I don't think it's THAT noticeable.

I have since sold them off, tried the NOVA system (didn't like it), and have basically stopped being creative with my effects and interesting guitar textures/tones.
My current pedalboard is only so big (can't have every effect at my finger tips), and tap dancing is not practical.

I'd like to get back into a MFX sometime....but having a harem of single pedals makes me drag my feet even more.

Interesting observation.
I know there are some other things thrown in from Electro Harmonix, but I'm sure there were only so many pedals available in the UK in 1980.

If ever I fire up an SD-1-->DD-2-->into my JC-120H, it sounds like these bands right away.

a bit off topic, but........................

If I don't want to buy a Diamond Comp today, what style comp will sound most like Johnny Marr?

Orange Squeezer?
Dyna Comp?
Ross?
studio rack unit?

Steve73

Great video. I like the point he makes about you dictating the sound you get and not letting the unit do that for you. I think that doesn't just extend to effects but how you play in general. You really can get out of the gear chase if you have specific tones in mind that you want to achieve.

Trending Topics