Johnny Winter RIP (merged)

Marc Roy

RIP to one of the best. I remember first hearing him when I was about 8 years old. Wish I could've seen him live.

Reddog

Johnny was clearly "one of a kind" in many ways. Of course most would observe his striking appearance, but also, in interviews, it seemed that he was consistently unpretentious, humble and down to earth. His approach to guitar was quite unorthodox (playing with a thumb pick rather than a flat pick, being a blues and rock and roll player who preferred a "trebly" sound, typically from humbucker- equipped guitars - although his Lazers had both humbuckers and single-coil pickups - and "Fender-Type" amps...including those Music-Man amps, his use of those busy, diverse fills, etc.). I always felt a real appreciation for and kinship with Johnny. I loved his choice of material (everything from old obscure 50's era RnB to pure Chicago blues, to Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones, etc.) His guitar work was always astounding to me and I have spent most of my life studying his guitar style (just recently I set about the task of attempting to learn every fill, rhythm element and lead in his version of "Rock me Baby" - quite a task if you've ever tried it). Despite the fact that I have been a fan of his for nearly 45 years, I never got to see him live until a couple years ago. Though he was clearly not at his peak due to his obvious physical condition, he could still put on an impressive show. Though I understand that he probably outlived all expectations, I still feel that I have lost a brother too soon. My thoughts are with his friends and family. Play on Johnny....rest in peace.

winterblu

Silver Supporting Member
This is the worst bit of news I can think of. I'll truly miss Johnny. I've lost track of how many times I've seen him, first time was in 1969 in England and the last in 2013 in Ca., with many other locales in between.

He was one of my major influences and my all time favorite guitarist.

RIP Johnny, you'll be missed and well remembered.

Big Al Z

Silver Supporting Member
Good is a big understatement ! We'll always love ya Johnny

I'm good, y'all know I'm good
I'm good, you know I'm good
I'm so good, I'm so good, girl, you know you gotta knock on wood

I'm good in the morning, I'm good at night
I'm good in the evening when the sun is shining bright
I'm good, you know I'm good
I'm so good, I'm so good, girl, I gotta knock on wood

jbert

got to see "johnny winter and" with derringer at a free outdoor concert in ann arbor,mi. i'll never-ever forget just prior to the band going on stage hearing a guy yell out at the top of his lungs......."bring out the mad albino!!!!". Detroiters.

Seth L

Johnny Winter, Second Winter, and the 3 albums on Alligator are essential listening. SRV and Clapton borrowed some tunes from those 3.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
Johnny Winter has been a favorite of mine since I first heard the Progressive Blues Experiment in 1968. I saw him several weeks later at Fillmore East, right after he got the contract with Columbia. I will never forget hearing that throaty blues voice shouting along in unison with his guitar. As a guitarist Johnny Winter was explosive, fluid, and constantly driving the songs he played. He will be missed, but he will never forgotten.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
On Dylan's 30th anni dvd, johnny plays Hiway 61, and has the drummer speed up 2 or 3 times before really getting into it!

Scott Miller

I thought he was kind of a poser until I saw him at the Fillmore, in 1969. Yow! I became a believer. His guitar tech was running all night, I've never seen someone break strings so much.

El Chorizo

Loved his music and whenever I heard his tunes, I said" gotta see him"

I'm glad I was able to see him live but it was really sad at the same time- as noted previously, he had to be led out with help to sit, stand and walk and his skills were really deteriorating-
His harmonica player took most of the leads-

HOWEVER-even in his state of Ill health- he gave his all to the audience. Much respect!

This was at the Ventura theatre several years ago- I hope that his condition improved in his last years- I couldn't imagine touring with my body and overall health in such poor shape

I have a recent Vintage Guitar magazine on the nightstand with Johnny on the cover- RIP to a very unique and influential bluesman

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
When I saw him last year in OC, he walked onto the stage, and did the first and last song standing up. He seemed to be getting a tad better then. He did Hiway 61 with the Firebird sitting down, but still !!!

Trending Topics