Johnny Winter - wow!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bodhisattva, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:32 AM.

1. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Heard of this guy all my life but never paid attention. He's incredible.

blustrat, Scrapperz, SlapHand and 6 others like this.
  2. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

Some of the greatest two guitar arrangements are on this piece of work.

He and Rick were meant to play together. Wish they had collaborated more.

Luke V, cycler, cbell2112 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Welcome to the club.

Man it was eye opening the first time I heard JW way back in the early 70s. I still remember.

Leonc likes this.
  5. RLD

RLD Member

I love me some Johnny Winter...it would have been nice if the bass player was in the right key.

Jonny G likes this.
  6. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

The guy just never runs out of ideas. I wish i could see what he sees on the fretboard. Limitless possibilities.

7. edubfromktown

edubfromktown Member

I saw him for the last time back in 2014. He put on an awesome show.

RIP

8. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I've been listening to him for over 40 yrs now so it blows my mind when I hear someone just discovering him. But I have to remember this is a place filled with all ages and backgrounds.......there was a time back around 82' and I heard this new player ....Stevie RayVaughn playing Voo doo child.
    I was heavily into Judas Priest and Iron Maiden at that point.
    I thought SRV wrote Voodoo Chile. It was about 10 yrs since Jimi passed and although I heard alot of his music through other players.......I never heard Jimi.:dunno:
    No internet back then.......

9. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Johnny’s first six or seven albums are like a reference library of bluesy licks. He was completely ballistic back in the day.

10. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

I was in high school in the mid 80's but we listened to texas blues rock as much as anything else. ZZ Top and Johnny Winter were at the top of the list. Definitely made a huge impression on me and I will second the opinions above on albums to check out. My tops are:

Johnny Winter - Self titled - purely blues tunes with a strong dose of rock.

Second Winter - bluesy but more acid blues with the stand track being Memory Pain - some of the best leads ever and tone to die for.

Johnny Winter And... - Adds Rick Derringer for dual guitar goodness. Great, great songs and a little more variety in styles. Check out Guess I'll Go Away, Funky Music and Prodigal Son along with Rock n Roll Hootchie Koo which you already mentioned(I think this is the best version).

Still Alive and Well - often overlooked for some reason but one of my favorites. The most rock record he made I think. Check the title track, All Tore Down, Rock Me Baby and Cheap Tequila. Those were major drinking songs for us in high school.

That 4 album run was super strong and the his best work, imo.

Kevbo599, TubeStack, rickt and 2 others like this.
  11. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I remember getting a copy of Johnny Winter "Captured Live" back in the 80's. I've been a huge fan ever since.

12. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

For me, i always just found the white-guy blues players boring as hell unless it was filtered through ZZ Top, Led Zep , AC/DC, Sabbath or something, so i mostly tuned them out but i missed out on JW. This is (was) one cool cat. Thanks for the videos.

bsacamano likes this.
  13. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

PS - just when i thought i'd cured GAS by finally getting a Les Paul ... now to start looking at Firebirds...;)

massacre, ucnick and rod horncastle like this.
  14. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The word I used to use his playing back in the day was "relentless"...man, that guy could just cut loose with what seemed like a never-ending-stream of single note riffs and never ran out of steam or notes.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    I wore out the 3 sides of Second Winter trying to steal a lick or two.

Relentless and on fire describe his playing perfectly! :bow

cbell2112 and Adel2 like this.
  17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You mean in that interim period after he died, you heard no Jimi or do you mean NEVER up until that point?
    Missing JW is a bit weird but missing JH is incredible.:eek::eek:

18. Bebop Tom

Bebop Tom Member

Progressive Blues Experiment. Done.

lhallam, stark, aiq and 2 others like this.
  19. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I was 3 when Jimi passed . In the 70s around 10 I dug the Beatles and Elvis. Whatever was in my dads 8 Track collection. He was into what was popular.
    I heard the name Jimi Hendrix but never knew any of his music.

Around 12 I heard Cheap Trick on the radio. Really started digging music. Billy Squier , some deep purple I remember.

Enter High school I was digging metal. Imy influences where everywhere. Started hearing RUSH, Skynyrd, Van Halen, Zepplin on the Radio.

Then SRV came along and for the first time I said...... I want to learn more. I want to do that! That really opened up alot of doors including Hendrix, the 3 Kings, Buddy Guy.

No one taught me....I kind of just soaked it up like a sponge as I went along. So I relate with the OP just discovering Johnny.

Brought back memories. My boom box sitting on the porch listening to this stuff.

DV52 and massacre like this.
  20. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Yeah my older brothers loved Jimi but i didn't really get it till i was good and stoned with my high school friends and Burning Of The Midnight Lamp came on. I was a metalhead too.

I've always heard of Johnny Winter, knew he played a firebird with mini hums but never dug in till i was looking up tabs for Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo. Found his version and.. he just keeps the blues style so interesting. Anyway, yeah older guys, just be glad people keep discovering the good stuff.

One of these days i'll be on a forum like this and someone will say "man this Chris Cornell guy can really sing, you guys ever heard of Soundgarden???"

Jollyb likes this.