Johnny Winter

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by citolja, Mar 12, 2008.

1. citolja

citolja Member

anyone seen or heard of what Gibson plans are for there Johnny Winter Firebird model ?

2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

First I've heard...not much they could do different really...a white FBV with Lyre or tobacco burst FBV without. Maybe VOS treatment?

3. sreichel

sreichel Member

Yes, I read Gibson was working a JW Custom model and am looking forward to seeing and playing one. The new Firebirds in the stores aren't very good.

4. gregc

gregc Member

Low production, insane pricing. I don't remember the numbers but I do remember going into shock when I saw them.

5. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Only 50 Made. Relic'd to look like his. List Price is: $11762, Street Price is: $7699 I've got one on the way. VERY COOL Guitar!

6. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

If anyone wants a picture of them and spec sheet PM me.

7. gregc

gregc Member

8. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

saw it at NAMM this year.
    sunburst...very accurately reliced...nice light feeling vintagey-seeming piece of wood (that is what impressed me the most). it felt like an old instrument....which is fantastic. the thing that was the weirdest (for me anyway) was that they even replicated (simulated?) the neck being broken. yep...I guess the neck on his #1 got snapped off around the 4th fret (if I remember correctly)...clean snapped off! then he had it repaired, and this is how it is today. so there's this big heavy crack line all the way across the back of the neck. in a crucial spot too...middle of the neck!
    I play firebirds though...I liked it a lot. the guitar was really really cool...probably NOT worth what they'll ask for it, but cool nonetheless.
    oh..and of course the case is reliced also..recreated like original. will obviously be more of a collector than a players instrument...like many of the recreations surfacing these days.......
    that SRV 'lenny' guitar....?!! c'mon, $21,000?!
    boo..
    hiss!
    over pricing mania.

9. rog951

rog951 Member

10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

One question would be whether the pickups sound like 60s reverse Firebird pickups.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

[​IMG]

That relic is very close to the original.

12. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Exact opposite experience for me. I've got a 2004 FBVII and it's awesome. Plays superbly and tone to die for. Others here also have high praise for recent production FB's.

13. citolja

citolja Member

I'll just keep my 64 FB--thanks anyway Gibson

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

This is what makes me Hate Gibson. Nothing special except a color change. Is that really what a signature guitar has become? NOTHING special about it besides a color and some cosmetics like the Dickey Betts model!!?

God forbid they ask Johnny.........Hey Jon. What do you think we can do to improve a Firebird? And actually come up with something unique and worthy of Signature status. Assholes.

15. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Great -gotta love the "signature model" stuff. At least Fender makes the guitars individualistic to the artists' instruments' idiosyncracies. PRS made a whole thing about the "Dave Navarro" model. It's a white Custom 24 (yes they offer this guitar in white on the regular Custom 24) and the only difference between it and a "regular" Custom 24 is it says "Dave Navarro" on the 12th fret.

16. m1911

m1911 Member

It's funny you mention the Dickey Betts model....
    A few years ago prior to his show, my kid and I were leaning against the stage and chatting with his Tech. He said the Les Pauls on stage Dickey would be using were both his signature models made in the Custom Shop. He went on to say that on the red one, the neck was so out of alignment on his original that the high-E string practically hung off the edge of the finger-board. The reissue was made the same way. HE even thought they went a bit too far making the reissues like the originals....oh well...
    Mark

17. stark

stark Supporting Member

My friend owns one of Johnny's Firebird III's. It came with a road case with Johnny Winter stenciled in huge letters. One of the smoothest playing guitars I've ever played, and those Johnny licks actually sound correct. I'm in line if he ever parts with it.

Adam Stark

18. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Here's the real deal. '64 Firebird V in the middle, '65 NR Firebird III in Polaris White on the right.:dude

19. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I'm really curious about the pickups. Someone please tell me they didn't use the horrible current issue mini's! It won't sound likeJohnny's if they did!
    Tony

20. TheMiz

TheMiz Supporting Member