Johnson J-Station; comments?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RickC, Nov 7, 2005.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Couldn't find *any* discussion of these on the board. First generation modeler, hopelessly outdated I'm sure, but you can grab these for pretty cheap nowadays. Anyone have experiences to share?

/rick

2. jordanL

jordanL Member

I still have mine, but have never been much of a recorder. IMHO it compared favorably against the first generation pod-depended on the patch as to which one sounded better.

3. RickB

RickB Member

I have two of them. I also have (or have tried at home with the same equipment) the whole Boss GT line, the whole POD line, ToneLab...... you name it. I always come back to the J-Station set to the BlackFace model. For a modeller to run pedals into for direct recording, the J-Station gets it right each time IMO. It has a feel to it that the other modellers can't capture.

I have two of them so that I can run stereo pedals into them. For the money, I doubt you would be dissapointed in it. The only other model in it that is good is the Rectifier. The effects aren't all that bad but I would never use them. But for just a pure, clean amp sim, it works great.

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

it was ok. I prefer the pods.

Probably because I despise Johnson for their horridly unreliable Johnson Millenium line. I got more negs on those steaming piles of crap than any other amp I ever sold.

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

I had one, don't know where it is now. I liked it better than any of the PODs. Although, I like the Vox Tonelab better than the J or the PODs. And I like my tube amp and analog pedals better than any of them.:D

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

JAAM

Just another amp modeler.

OK if you just want to play with it and want to have some fun effects, better running into a real tube amp (but then, why do you need modelling). I had one at work for a while, but like my all analog Rockman X100 just as well and it doubles as a stereo...

7. hrowe

hrowe Member

+1
    I only use the Blackface model and use pedals if I want more distortion. Sounds pretty good - much better than the POD IMO.

8. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I still have mine - it's a lot of fun. I'm pretty much a Les Paul into a Marshall kind of guy, but for home recording, doing demos, whatever, it's great. It's dead reliable and gets you most of the way there.

9. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

If I were to get a modeler, it probably wouldn't be for the amp modeler per se, except as a backup. Usually you hear people discuss how good the amp modeling is but not how good the effects are. I might consider using one for effects which aren't too bad on the few I've heard.

Anyone have opinions on which ones have a good set of effects or which ones are known for particular effects?

10. HammyD

HammyD Member

I must say I am really impressed with the ease of use and the overall quality of sound. I am using mine specifically for recording to GarageBand using the blackface modeler.

I have a vintage blackface amp, and no it does not, nor any modeler I have ever heard sound "just" like a BF. But its great for dialing in a sound that most (non guitar/amp obsessed) people would think is exceptional.

I can blend the effects in very easily to sound as if I am part of the recording of the backing track (as compared to sound like I just dropped a track on top.)

For me its a bit redundant with the available amp sims for GarageBand, so it may go to Ebay someday.

11. davetcan

davetcan Member

I'm really pleased with mine. Picked it up for less than $100. Mind you I'm not much of a player and just do it for fun and stress relief. I've got a clip posted right now that was just my LP into the J-Station and straight into the computer. The blackface is the best model to my ears. I don't recall what this was but it's higher gain with some delay and verb added. I warned you about the playing.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=131099