Joined Band, need tone help with H&K Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AlexL, Feb 29, 2012.

1. AlexL

AlexL Member

I joined a band recently (first time in over 20 years). Everything is going well, but I am not satisfied with my tone.

I am using a Hughes & Kettner Duotone into a Mesa 4x12 slant rectifier cabinet. We practice at fairly conservative volume levels.

My issue is that my tone sounds really midrangey. I can't seem to get any low end unless I turn up the amp a bit more, but then I am too loud. I love the amp; I've used it for other jams (at higher volume) and it sounds great; but at lower levels with my band, I can't get any thump out of it.

Our other guitarist uses a first generation Dual Rectifier, with two (!) 4x12 cabinets, and he has plenty of low end.

I am friends with Tim O'Brien from O'Brien Amplifiers, who can put a pentode/triode switch on it to cut my power. Will this do what I need?

Any other suggestions? No one in the band has complained, but I am wanting a fuller sound.

I have a Roccaforte Jenelle and a Heritage Colonial amp as well, but I really don't want to gig with those. I picked up the H&K for a sweet sweet price, and love it in all respects, except for the purpose I bought it for - using it with my band.

Not that it matters, but we play variety rock/hard rock from the 70s through modern day (AC/DC & Kiss to Ratt to Seether & Theory of a Deadman).

Thanks for any suggestions.

- E.

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

One must ask... what are the tone stack settings? Tried zeroing out the mid and maxing the bass? Or any values in between?

3. AlexL

AlexL Member

Not to those extremes, but close.

It sounds like my issue is I'm not pushing the amp hard enough to get the low end to bloom to full goodness. Yet the other guitarist's Mesa has no issues with this.

Turning up solves the problem, but I'm trying to get a fuller sound at lower volumes, hence why I'm thinking that a pentode/triode switch may help.

But interested in any other suggestions or experiences.

- Eric

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

For a full balanced sound at lower volumes, I like a semi-open back 2x12. My 4x12 needs to be pushed hard before it balances out and sounds good. You may also try an attenuator so you can push the amp harder

5. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Does the pre-amp volume pot(s) have a bright cap? If so, loose it, or replaces, or place a resistor in series with the Cap.