JoMama Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tone Disciple, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

I was out of town on business in Santa Fe and went to a blues jam. Both guitar setups were using Jomama amps made by Joe Kelemen. Turns out I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be, you guessed it, Joe Kelemen! He was a very interesting guy and the amps at the jam were very toneful in the small club.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

He said he was reworking his website, but here is a link to his old one -

http://www.jomamamusic.com/

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

My other guitar player has been playing one for the last few years. His is a Kelemen 45. It really is a fantastic sounding amp. It's had a few problems and Joe has been world class at taking care of them.

In all, it's one of the biggest and most opening sounding blackface type amps I've heard. It can wander in to Marshall territory as well.

Good stuff!

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I had one for about a year. Nice Fendery tones for sure.
    Rectifier circuit fried.

Did not dig the plastic shafts on the tonestack pots. The only metal shafts were on the most important ones, the volume control.

Nice amp.

Emee

4. stratlad

stratlad Member

I saw one at a guitar repair shop - the owner was playing it and I'd just read about it in Guitar Player. Sounded good in his hands (he was doing Stones stuff). Not sure it was my cup of tea but it was an interesting and "worthy" amp for sure for blues

5. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the posts. The rough prices he was telling me about were definitely within reason for custom amps in todays market.

He said he is now working a lot on heads. He also indicated that he had made an amp a while back whose two speaker cabinet included a 10" and 12 " speaker.

It was interesting to visit with him. He told me to go pick up the head on one of the amps at the gig (the other was a combo). It was very light.