Jon Herington explains ToneShield - Speaker Beaming Solved!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Mark@ToneShield, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Mark@ToneShield

Mark@ToneShield Gold Supporting Member

Here is an explanation of ToneShield done by Steely Dan Lead Guitarist Jon Herington:

https://toneshield.com

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Dana Olsen, Pickaxe and teefus like this.
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Now that was a sweet sounding Bludotone!

Hard to hear the difference the shield makes in the video, way more in the room I'm sure.

Dana Olsen and NamaEnsou like this.
  3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

$200. interesting. nice packaging.

4. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

One of the things I immediately like about this is the ultra-compact form factor, allowing it to slip into the back of an amp, or amp cover pocket. Almost even ordered one until I saw the price and I'll be waiting until a lot of others have been using them in the forum before I'll throw that much at one. Would have absolutely bought one for 50, thought about it for 100, but beyond that, hmmm...

Hope this new member actually joined TGP to be a part of the online community and not just for the marketing opportunity, but that's up to him I guess. Just makes for a better look when new members join to participate in the forum too.

5. Mark@ToneShield

Thanks for the feedback NamaEnsou. I am a fellow musician and hope to offer more to the community than just marketing! This design was inspired by the Deeflex - a german speaker beaming diffuser that is much more expensive and not compact at all. My main goal initially was to build one for myself that was easy to transport. After using one for a while I had other guitarists asking for one, so then I was producing them. I would love to be able to sell them for $50 or 100, but this is not possible - the materials cost $50! These are made in Chatham Va. Think of it like ToneShield at $195 made in Chatham is like a Fuchs Amp while ToneShield produced in China is like a Blackstar Amp. All are good but having relationships is better!

6. NamaEnsou

My point wasn't to complain about the price but rather to express what I'd be willing to pay for one immediately. I'll be keeping my eyes on these and really appreciate the continuing efforts to improve life for the mobile musician.

Mark@ToneShield likes this.
  7. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I spent some time with Jon in August and he told me about this. I’m buying!!

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Kind of like an angled Clearsonic. I set my Clearsonic like a W shape and it disperses in many directions.

9. NamaEnsou

I hope you'll start a review thread when you get some time on it, and put a notification in this thread so I won't miss it.

10. Mark@ToneShield

The Clearsonic shields are pretty good but what the ToneShield does is a little different. Joe Bivona (guitar tech and Fuchs dealer in Nashville) has both the Clearsonic and ToneShield and he commented that the difference was quite striking. The tilt forward angle of the ToneShield gives the guitarist a better experience when performing.

jkr and GAT like this.
  11. NamaEnsou

Not to mention the difference in transportation form factor. One can fit in the back of a combo and the other requires carrying a separate item. Not a game killer for all, but definitely not of interest to players like myself. Compactness may only be one of the reasons I'm interested in the ToneShield, but it's a very important one.

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

This is designed for 1x12's.. Do you have a bigger one in the works for 2x12's, or a person's only recourse would be buying 2 of these? ALSO, does a guitar amp boom mic stand work with this on a 1x12? Will the boom /mic fit over it and against the grill still?

Eric

13. Mark@ToneShield

Hi Eric,
    You are correct, it is designed for 1 x 12's and the best option is to use 2 of them for a 2 x 12 - there is an automatic 10% discount on 2 or more. Another option is to use one on one of the 2 x 12's speakers and then either leave the other open or shield it in a different way. Some others are experimenting with using one on a 2 x 12 - I'll post some info about this on the website when it's available. Remember - ToneShield accomplishes 3 things - it provides a better experience for the guitarist, the other bandmates, and also the audience. Using one on a 2 x 12 would, I believe, help the guitarist and maybe the bandmates, but it would provide less benefit for the audience(Sound Engineers). It would be possible to build a bigger one for a 2 x 12 but I think this would compromise the compactness.
    Regarding mics - I use a Sennheiser mic that is hung in front without a stand. Cameron Owen hangs an SM57 in front. There is space to use a mic stand, but it would be limited depending on where you want the mic placed. Keep in mind - the ToneShield does not have to be up against the cabinet or even be square against it to be effective. I have various guitarists experimenting with placement! Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Here is a discussion with another guitarist with similar questions regarding 2 x 12's
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?conversations/comparison.8392022/
    Thanks!
    Mark

JackD likes this.
  14. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I guess that means I am buying two (2) of them! Mark, I will reach out to you with any other questions and we can move forward. Thanks

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. That link doesn't work for me?? I'm less worried about sound engineers, as I'm always our sound person from stage! I would just like something where my drummer and bassist can hear me better without running me thru monitors, as I prefer to only have vocals in stage monitors. If only 1 of these was used on a 2x12 it seems there'd be phase cancellation out front?? Maybe I'm wrong. Hmm. . I think this is a great idea that might be developable for bigger cabs. Thanks! Eric

16. Mark@ToneShield

Eric,
    Another guitarist from TGP purchased one yesterday and had similar questions about 2 x 12's. I can offer you the same thing I offered him - if you purchase one now and decide sometime in the near future that you want another - I'll give you the 10% discount when you decide to pickup the 2nd ToneShield and also apply it to the first. I don't think there will be any phase issues either way.

17. Mark@ToneShield

Here is a recent explanation of 1 ToneShield used on a 2 x 12 setup by a fellow Gear Page Member:

Hey Mark- I did use it at the gig. We went without mics on the guitar amps. I used a big diagonal Kerry Wright 2/12 cabinet. And for the first time ever I tried 2 amp heads at the same time. Just sent each one into a single speaker. Split my signal with my El Capistan. My Komet 29 was on the bottom speaker with the Tone Shield. My Filmosound was on the top.
    It sounded great. I think the Tone Shield helped spread the sound out from the bottom speaker. It didn’t help with the top one- but one is better than none.
    Steve

ebenezer likes this.
  18. Nick1954

Nick1954 Member

I've used various amp-placement, amp-pointing, and amp-obstructing strategies over the years to solve this problem, and I know what I'm about to propose doesn't take into account the wedge/angle aspect of this solution nor the materials used, but... If you want an angled deflection of the speaker wouldn't just a plain solid metal music stand (without the "stand" part of it) placed in front of the speaker work roughly the same? Even some of us guitarists have those. :)

19. Mark@ToneShield

It may help, but it would not work the same and the thin steel of the music stand may cause resonance issues. A music stand, a piece of acrylic, wood or even cardboard would deflect the sound, but the flatness will cause the deflection to be mostly in one direction. This solves one part of the problem but there are other issues to address, such as - Even distribution of the tone for the audience and other performers, and portability, a music stand is more cumbersome to carry around - I know from experience! I spent quite a bit of time and energy designing a solution to the problem that was also easy to transport. Have you seen DeeFlexx? It's very similar in shape to ToneShield but does not fold up - it's also much more expensive. Also - Clearsonic sells hinged acrylic panels for blocking amps, drums and what not, but these are also one directional.
    Let me know if you test out your music stand idea!

Nick1954 likes this.