Jon Herington

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tribalfusion, Feb 1, 2012.

1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I saw Jon Herington last night in Boston for a great show. Jon played lots of very intelligent lines in some very clever tunes including a couple of Steely Dan numbers (Jon has been their guitarist for 12 years now as well as having played with Mike Brecker, Jim Beard and Bill Evans among others on the jazz and fusion side).

A very underrated player who knows how to play, write and arrange, Jon played mostly blues-based tunes, well constructed pop songs he has been writing the past few years and an acoustic set.

A super nice guy with a great sense of humor, check him out on his tour if you get a chance

Cheers

2. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Jon is a friend of mine. He is a fantastic player and a really good guy. I think his new CD is excellent. I am really hoping that he gets some good exposure as a solo artist and that more success follows. I am trying to help promote him here in the midwest.

I encourage everyone to check him out!

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I had to miss his show in Portland on Sunday night. I really wanted to go. There's a local Steely Dan tribute band up here, and he's sat in with them before.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I have to check out his solo stuff - I really like his work with the Dan, seems that he's grown as a player with them too

5. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Love Herington! I saw him with the Dan and with Fagan/ Boz /Mc Donald within the last two years. What a perfect player and fantastic tonemeister!

Shine has some excellent tunes on it!

Wish he'd make another jazz cd with Jim Beard!!!

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Another old friend here. You should hear him play straight-ahead. He something else, a real in-the-flesh inspiration.

7. Comet01

Comet01 Member

I saw him three weeks ago. I loved his first solo album (Complete Rhyming Dictionary) since it was first released. I was a bit disappointed to see that the succeeding albums were vocal oriented. I went to support one of my favorite fusion guitarists (even though I knew there would be no fusion).

To my surprise, the show was great! Far better than I expected.

My wife insisted on going (she's not music of a guitar fan) and she ended up loving the show as well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

The Complete Rhyming Dictionary is such an underrated album....or maybe simply unknown to be more accurate :)

9. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

John Herington is a very tasty player. I need to get me some of his solo stuff. What would you guys recommend?

10. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

It's all great!
    Vocal oriented: Shine Shine Shine (his newest) and Like So

Instrumental and killing: Pulse and Cadence (originally released as The Complete Rhyming Dictionary- but only in Japan) KILLER KILLER KILLER Desert Island Disc for me!

11. Grun

Grun Member

Saw him last week and was well impressed. Not only is he a member of Steely Dan's touring band as well as contributing to more recent SD releases, he is their musical director. Great band and good time. Knows how to entertain. Dude can play.

Not sure quite how to say this, but the couple of SD tunes he chose (Pearl of the Quarter being one) seemed to pretty much out weigh most of the rest of what he played that evening.

One other cool thing about the particular show I attended, James Montgomery came out at one point and he and the band proceeded to rip the roof off the joint. James was promoting a show of his own later on this month at the same venue. Think I am going to catch that as well.

Enjoyable evening. Likable guy. Seemed like lots of civilians were present and enjoyed it as well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Definitely Pulse and Cadence (also known as The Complete Rhyming Dictionary)

13. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I have to find out how to get that CD. I could always ask Jon. Does anyone here know?

14. Comet01

Comet01 Member

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

I didn't know that Jon was here in Boston. I usually see him when he comes to Boston. He is a fantastic player and I love his mix of rock & jazz approach. We played on Takanori Niida's cd.. Oz Noy also played on same cd.

Please check him out.

Tomo

16. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I enjoyed his Like So album a lot. His songwriting is very pure and direct musically but his lyrics have some nice wit in them. It sounds like his voice has gotten more color and character to it, which is pretty cool. Donald Fagen has been a good influence, I think. :)

17. StevenA

StevenA Member

Anyone want to offer up a chart of City of Lights?

18. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

I saw him on the last Steely Dan tour and he absolutely blew me away live! Killer tone, great mixture of playing the parts and improvising - great lines and hip chords...loved it. Will have to check out his solo stuff.

19. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

FYI Jon is playing at BB King's here in NYC tomorrow night. Wish I could go. Someone please go and post a report!

20. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

Bumping this thread...love his work with Steely Dan, will have to check out his other stuff.