Jonesing for a Jazzmaster!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone Shop Guitars, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

I need it like I need a hole in my head but I can't shake the desire for a jazzmaster. Really don't want a USA or japan one. I want a light ash body and a nitro finish. And I don't want to drop Master Built money. Thinking about Nash or Original Sinn.

Any opinions?

Thanks
    Tr

2. winonatele

winonatele Member

Jazzmasters are a good thing! Ash would be a different twist, wouldn't it?

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

JM owner/lover here. Although you stated you'd prefer other than this, still consider a Fender Am. Vintage. Really nicely built and priced, the only change I'd make is to better/lower value pots. The pups are really sweetened when those pots are swapped (heard one with this done...big overall difference!). Takes off that harsh edge some complain about. BTW...Mine's a Fender Masterbuilt Relic (John English). Sounded heavenly right out of the case. AC

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Ash could be cool -- it could be too bright, too. But it could be really cool.

I've considered making a JM out of parts from USACG or Warmoth. Black korina body with a maple/rosewood neck. A Novak Vintage in the neck, and an underwound P-90 in the bridge. Certainly more work, though. And certainly no cheaper than an AVRI.

If you want a good, new Jazzmaster, I'd go AVRI & replace the pickups with Lollars or Novaks. Not, you know, that the fact that I've chosen to do so would bias my position in any way. But if you haven't lived with a JM, and embraced its idiosyncrasies, I'd be hesitant to plunk down a bunch of cash for a custom guitar I later wanted to throw through a wall. (There are those who are mystified, or nonplussed, at the creative control layout & effective, but not "set it & forget it," bridge. Nobody's perfect. ;) )

5. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

John English is incredible!!! If I felt like dealing with photobucket, I got a
    pix of his booth at the fender custom shop. He showed me how he started
    doing relics. Cool, cool guy. Super nice. I should tell me kids college is overrated and buy Master built!!!

I just like the sound of Ash/Rosewood. Too many years of Zep I & II.

Tr

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Is ther such a thing as too many years of Zep I & II? :dude

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I want a Lake Placid Blue Jazzmaster with a white guard in the worst way

8. brad347

brad347 Member

Then don't go to my website! (in my sig).

You can't have her!

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I didn't listen.

You're a lucky man

10. brad347

brad347 Member

i truly am. If it's any consolation, rest assured that it has a real career playing real gigs with real musicians and doesn't live under a bed! :D

11. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I was watching some Tom Verlaine/Television clips on YouTube last night and someone left a comment about his JM guitar tone calling it "...sparkling shards of candy coated glass". I can't think of a more appropriate description for the overdriven JM tone and I love it. One of my best friends has an early 90's MIJ Jaguar RI which he probably hasn't played for 10yrs. Yeah, it's definitely not the same as the JM, but I've often considered trying to talk him out of it. Both of 'em are great, fun guitars.

In case some of you haven't see it, forumite "fatback" just finished up his Lollar-equppied JM project guitar and posted at least one vid of it in the "Member Soundclips" section a few days ago.

12. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Love the Jazzmaster. Just get one. It will make you happy.

[​IMG]