• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jonesing on My Gassing!

vashondan

Silver Supporting Member
My mind is tripping on its own and I've lost control. I've been reading about and listening to videos of 5e3 amps and want one bad. Can I afford it? Hell no. Will I likely get it? Hell yes. Its my 70th bday next month and my normal wanting got all blended up with my oh ****...70...I deserve something. I've got an AC15C1 that will likely go if I get one and love it.

So, I've been looking mostly at the lil Dawg Deluxe. They're like 900 plus change new without a speaker. I've seen a few used ones in the 7-mid 8's on Reverb and eBay but am a little nervous about used. I've seen threads that mentioned other brands whose names I can't remember. So....

What do you think about the Lil Dawg Deluxe and the price?
What about buying used?
No, I'm no good with a soldering gun!
Other quality choices in the price range?

I know you guys hate so see anyone spend their hard earned money but what are your thoughts, advice etc.

Thanks

gtrplr71

My mind is tripping on its own and I've lost control. I've been reading about and listening to videos of 5e3 amps and want one bad. Can I afford it? Hell no. Will I likely get it? Hell yes. Its my 70th bday next month and my normal wanting got all blended up with my oh ****...70...I deserve something. I've got an AC15C1 that will likely go if I get one and love it.

So, I've been looking mostly at the lil Dawg Deluxe. They're like 900 plus change new without a speaker. I've seen a few used ones in the 7-mid 8's on Reverb and eBay but am a little nervous about used. I've seen threads that mentioned other brands whose names I can't remember. So....

What do you think about the Lil Dawg Deluxe and the price?
What about buying used?
No, I'm no good with a soldering gun!
Other quality choices in the price range?

I know you guys hate so see anyone spend their hard earned money but what are your thoughts, advice etc.

Thanks
man you have been on spree the last year. Do it man!

vashondan

Silver Supporting Member
because it's awesome! Grammaticos take on tweed amps are my favorite. This one has NOS tubes and is just sweet.
Heard a demo of one of those. You're right. Sweet. Out of my price range though

man you have been on spree the last year. Do it man!
I have been I know. Funny thing is I just got my AC15 where I really like it but... Just listened to some of the demo tracks on the lil Dawg site and fell in love. Both the cleans and crunch drive me crazy. I'm in. Will look for a good used one for a week or so and then if i don't find one will give those guys a call.

Broomz

My 5e3 (2013 Fender) changed my life! Not to be overdramatic, but I get swoony thinking about it. I would sell off most pedals before I would ever part with this amp. I haven't even wanted to use them with it, except very selectively, because almost always the straight tone is better. Allow me to recommend a Scumnico speaker which was in mine when I bought it, used.

Broomz

And also, regarding used, it is an extremely simple circuit. If you have access to an amp tech I can't imagine you have anything to worry about. If it had significant problems you ought to be able to tell well within the Paypal Buyer's Protection window. Also it seems most of the boutique-type builders want to stand by their build-quality so you should be able to get help from them, if need be.

Just look for highly-rated, trustworthy sellers, especially if they are the single owner as opposed to a store/reseller.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
The tweed deluxe 5e3 is the most sleazy, raunchy sounding amp ever produced. A proper running 5e3 is the guitar amp equivalent of Bon Scott. And yes, I think they are as good as it gets.

C-4

Vashondan,
I'll tell you what my wife told me in the beginning of 2016 when I speculated on purchasing a 10K private stock PRS..." if not now, when?!" This year I turned 68 in June. I've had 4 heart attacks, just got a new hip, had back and arm surgeries multiple times. I'm just breaking down from age.

I still work a day job 40 hrs per week and play out in a band with my wife at night. I made the last payment on the PRS yesterday to the dealer. My number is about 400 away from when it starts to be built, so I don't plan to see it before June this coming year, and more realistically, closer to September or October, if then.

I've already got my heart set on a Metroplex, and two more guitars. If you cannot afford it now, just find a way to save and get it when you have the coin and have found the exact build you want.

Unless you are seeking out an original Fender 5e3, it shouldn't take you all year. My list has me planning into 2018 already. If I die before all this comes to fruition, I WILL be pissed! ;)

vashondan

Silver Supporting Member
@C-4 Great advice and perspective. Unless someone can prove to me that there's gear "on the other side" I'm getting what I want (and can pretty much afford) now. And maybe, just maybe if I live long enough I might even be a pretty good guitar player. I started late and making up for lost time.

Reactions: C-4

C-4

@C-4 Great advice and perspective. Unless someone can prove to me that there's gear "on the other side" I'm getting what I want (and can pretty much afford) now. And maybe, just maybe if I live long enough I might even be a pretty good guitar player. I started late and making up for lost time.

Good for you Vashondan! :)
I'm taking some of my gear with me, just in case there is no gear on the other side! ;)

pbmw

Talk to Brent at the Sauderhaus in Port Orchard. He's right around the corner from you on Mile Hill.
Outstanding guy, great reputation

Trending Topics

Top Bottom