Joni Mitchell; Mingus's Goodbye Porkpie Hat

zztomato

I learned Goodbye Pork Pie Hat from the Jazz Workshop chart. It's been a tough little sucker for me. There are some really nice chords, which were new to me. Stretches my ear like a really hip little see-saw, rocking back and forth with these rich chords.
Jazz Workshop, I'm told was affiliated with Charles Mingus back in the day. It's a highly playable version, based in Eb. I think Beck does it in D.

You go on youtube and various folks play it all over the place different keys, tempos, arrangements. That's what happens to standards I guess. I've never yet found a recorded version that follows the chart exactly. I have that Joni show recorded at the Santa Barbara County Bowl,w/Jaco/Matheny, I think it's on there and I'll check it out.

Oh and Joni Mitchell? She's a badass if there ever was one. Master artist, just a sick concentration of talent in that soul, and she owes nothing to nobody. Well done Joni, one hell of a life of art! People will be celebrating her gifts for many, many decades, probably longer.
Nicely said my friend, nicely said. I agree 100%

Jp2558

I spent many a night stocking shelves for A&P whistling her version of GPH. Seeing her do it live (16th row) with Weather Report in Detroit is still one of my top five all time favorite concerts.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
She had to be sumpin' special if she got Alias behind a trap kit. He hated trap kits.
huh?
Stone Alliance?
He was all excited about getting back with Gene ..I played a rehearsal with Don and Gene and he was all lit up about playing drums

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I know I'll get skewered for this, but as much as I love Jaco, his "lead bass" approach during this show can be a bit too much for me at times. I know - that's Jaco.
I went to a Metheny clinic at a drum shop in Hartford right around the time of this tour. Metheny said Brecker wasn't crazy about Jaco's approach either and specifically said to check Brecker's expression at the end of Dry Cleaner From Des Moines.

Jimmy James

I went to a Metheny clinic at a drum shop in Hartford right around the time of this tour. Metheny said Brecker wasn't crazy about Jaco's approach either and specifically said to check Brecker's expression at the end of Dry Cleaner From Des Moines.

That's funny. I never noticed that before. I love that album.

mike walker

Some excellent interviews recently with Joni. Worth a trek through Youtube.
Never known so much artistic poise in one person. An obvious genius. It's a word that sits so easily in any discussion where she's the subject.

dunara

She had to be sumpin' special if she got Alias behind a trap kit. He hated trap kits.
Joni and Alias were an item at the time, if I recall.

I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned John McLaughlin yet....

zztomato

Joni and Alias were an item at the time, if I recall.

I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned John McLaughlin yet....

Good one, thanks. You can see what he's doing for much of the song.
I've never been into McLaughlin much- listened to a fair bit of MO when I was younger but then lost interest. I find him kind of humourless or something in his playing style and can't connect with him really. Not a criticism by any means- he does what he does and it's all his style.

Flogger59

huh?
Stone Alliance?
He was all excited about getting back with Gene ..I played a rehearsal with Don and Gene and he was all lit up about playing drums
He was a long time resident at Le Grand Café on St Denis here in Montreal in the early 80's, and it was always percs. I remember him dropping that jewel once (I hate trap drums).

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

He did not look happy. He was also shaking his head.

tonewoody

What tuning are you using? Joni often played in non standard tunings. Maybe it's the voicing of the chords?

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Joni's 70 years old now. Like all of us now hitting our golden years, her voice has changed, her body's changed and her music's changed...but I still have a big crush on her.

Some of the comments following this video are pretty idiotic unfortunately. The comments like "It's time to hang it up..." It's never time to hang it up if you're an artist and performing your art makes you happy.

There is long, fairly recent interview with her. She said that's she's been ill for many years which is why she cancelled so many concerts and almost died more than once. She said her medical condition was no one's business and never bothered to explain why she rarely toured. She also said that her current condition has taken her voice and she can no longer sing.

BTW - Larry Carlton played on Court and Spark and possibly some others.

Last edited:

dunara

Mike Landau played on Court and Spark
Haha! - I think not. :roll

Landau was still in short trousers when that album was made. Larry Carlton did the lion's share of that (truly great) album. Landau did some stuff with Joni in the 80s.

Belmont

my friend was her guitar tech for years, he has some amazing stories.
another lucky friend of mine did a pub gig on the Sunshine Coast (near Vancouver), one of the staff heard them soundcheck and said her friend would be coming by. he thought nothing of it, who shows up, Joni Mitchell (she lives there). she sat in for 3 songs and hung out after the gig.
he's a huge Joni fan and needless to say he was thrilled.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Haha! - I think not. :roll

Landau was still in short trousers when that album was made. Larry Carlton did the lion's share of that (truly great) album. Landau did some stuff with Joni in the 80s.
I stand corrected, I meant to say Carlton, thx. Fixed.

zztomato

Joni's 70 years old now. Like all of us now hitting our golden years, her voice has changed, her body's changed and her music's changed...but I still have a big crush on her.

Some of the comments following this video are pretty idiotic unfortunately. The comments like "It's time to hang it up..." It's never time to hang it up if you're an artist and performing your art makes you happy.

It's funny, even at 70 and not in her "prime", she still exudes artistry that very few in the pop world today can even hold a candle to.

Been listening to Shadows and Light today. Great record.

Trending Topics