Jose Arredondo... anyone know anything about him?

eschoendorff

All I know is that (traditional folklore claims) he modded Ed's Marshall and apparently modded a few others as well. He name often comes up when talking about Marshalls, so it got me wondering...

When did he die? What did he look like? Where did he work? What was his background?

Any info you could share or even personal anecdotes about the man would really help quench my curiosity.

:beer

xray

Gold Supporting Member
I don't talk about him much, but I worked for him as a teenager replacing caps and resistors in his shop in VanNuys called ARRCO Electronics in 1978-1979. I would get off of School at Portola Jr. High and ride my skateboard to his shop about 2-3 times a week. He was very unreliable. Sometimes he would show up and sometimes not. Sometimes he would pay me and sometimes not (always cash under the table). I did not do any mods myself. I only did grunt work for him (taking amps apart, replacing burned out parts, re-assembling). When I worked there, we serviced amps for VH and the Rolling Stones and a host of other people. There were always people complaining about how long it took to get stuff repaired. There were amps in there that had tons of dust on them and I didn't know who they belonged too. I met him because of a MV mod he did to my older brothers 69' Super Lead. My brother told him I was very interested in electronics and could help him. Jose told me tons of sordid stories during the times he went on the road with the Rolling Stones as a tech. I don't know how real they were, but he thoroughly corrupted my mind...

I think he had a substance abuse problem, but I was too young (12-13) and naive and was heavily abusing pot myself at the time to be able to judge.

Wow interesting story !

jp1977

I don't talk about him much, but I worked for him as a teenager replacing caps and resistors in his shop in VanNuys called ARRCO Electronics in 1978-1979. I would get off of School at Portola Jr. High and ride my skateboard to his shop about 2-3 times a week. He was very unreliable. Sometimes he would show up and sometimes not. Sometimes he would pay me and sometimes not (always cash under the table). I did not do any mods myself. I only did grunt work for him (taking amps apart, replacing burned out parts, re-assembling). When I worked there, we serviced amps for VH and the Rolling Stones and a host of other people. There were always people complaining about how long it took to get stuff repaired. There were amps in there that had tons of dust on them and I didn't know who they belonged too. I met him because of a MV mod he did to my older brothers 69' Super Lead. My brother told him I was very interested in electronics and could help him. Jose told me tons of sordid stories during the times he went on the road with the Rolling Stones as a tech. I don't know how real they were, but he thoroughly corrupted my mind...

I think he had a substance abuse problem, but I was too young (12-13) and naive and was heavily abusing pot myself at the time to be able to judge.
Wow, that's a cool story. I was wondering if you know of all the different mods Jose did for people? I know you build and fix amps but is that where u learned the trade?

fenderlead

A post from http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/14950-jose-arredondo-mod-evh-amp-2.html

I personally new him. He was Jose Omar Arredondo and he was like a second Dad to me.
I grew up with his youngest daughter. His company was ARRCO Electronics, back in 1976 when I first met him, the company was located right there on Sepulveda Bl. just So. of Roscoe Blvd. It was a small shop right next to a pawn shop. They lived directly across the street in a huge old fashion Victorian house, before it was torn down and apts were built in that vast lot.

Anyway...... he had no lackadaisical attitude when it came to his ingenious work. He was way ahead of his time.
The he moved, from there to Encino in the late 70's and made the back garage his work shop.
His daughter and I would go out there from time to time to watch him work on these amazing amps. His wife Raquel would be in the kitchen always cooking or preparing food for something..... and we would sit in the shop drinking iced tea [we were about 17 and 18 years old] He was already working with Eddie at the time, because when either David Lee or Eddie were on their way over, Jose would make his daughter and I go inside the house. We weren't allowed near those guys. But while we were in that shop, I remember sitting on a stool watching him work, on these amps that to me.... looked like an amazing wizard of oz city that was being built.
The back of the amps were clear, and when you looked through them... you just didn't want to stop looking because there was so much to see... all the intricate detail.
As the years would pass, we went to the US Festival in 1983 and I still have pictures of that fest, but only all from back stage, because that was the only place we were allowed. We stood next to Valerie and Eddie & Alex's Mom [Mrs. Van Halen] first time ever, I noticed she was oriental.

More time passed and I remember the group breaking up and then Sammy Hagar started coming over to the house. When his daughter and I were there....... we were shoosed out again, and not allowed to be around him either.

I guess all those guys seemed to have some very discombobulated thoughts. lol

If you still want those amps, I do believe his Son Omar or daughter Maria still have some of his amps. Who knows, maybe they would be willing to part with them now? I remember Maria paying storage for many years fr those amps, then she moved them again. The son is still a automobile mechanic, and they both live locally in the Valley.

I was there at Holy Cross Hospital when Jose died. His family called him Poppy, as did I... He died peacefully with his family by his side.
I believe..... that was Sept 17th 1997

Hopefully I was able to attribute a good ole' "Jose" story for you guys...

equinox

Yes, thanks for the information! Due to your help, I found a summary obit for him: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-20/local/me-40740_1_van-nuys - Arredondo, Jose Omar, 71, of Van Nuys, retired electrical engineer. Forest Lawn Mortuary, Hollywood Hills.

Then I found a Find-A-Grave memorial for him: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=85845055

It doesn't have his grave photo nor full obit, so I have requested the community to take a photo of the photo of his final resting spot and will contact the LA Times to get the full obit to complete his memorial!

Enjoy!

Equinox

jj1288

Hi, I am please to say that I am Jose Omar Arredondo's granddaughter. His son Omar is my father. I was only 8 years old when he died. His friends use to call him the "Wiz" because he was extremely smart. He loved what he did. From what I remember he was a great person amps and wires everywhere in the house lol. It was hard to get him out of the garage. My father still tells the great stories about my grandpa. Unfortunately his wife Raquel recently passed away peacefully. They are both at Forest Lawn. Ask me anything you want to know about him. -J

skhan007

Supporting Member
^^WOW. Thanks for joining the discussion here JJ1288. It's more information available than most of us could've hoped for, just chatting on the forum. Any other info/stories you'd be willing to share would be most appreciated! Your grandfather certainly holds a place in rock/amp history.

jerrydyer

thats a cool story about being sent into the house. makes perfect sense. His mods, primarily there was the one main one but since all marshalls sounds a little diff (even same models) each time he modded it sounded somewhat different.

some people use his mods and claim them as their own. I honor his name as best I can and clearly mention or print when I use his particular MV in an amp.

I like that he is being remembered as a traditionalist, class act. (keep the kids away from the talent they are nuts)
http://www.surrealamplification.com/aka-100.php

psychodave

Hi, I am please to say that I am Jose Omar Arredondo's granddaughter. His son Omar is my father. I was only 8 years old when he died. His friends use to call him the "Wiz" because he was extremely smart. He loved what he did. From what I remember he was a great person amps and wires everywhere in the house lol. It was hard to get him out of the garage. My father still tells the great stories about my grandpa. Unfortunately his wife Raquel recently passed away peacefully. They are both at Forest Lawn. Ask me anything you want to know about him. -J

Wow, very cool. I love the tone your grandfather got out of Marshall amps. He left a big legacy that will live on for a very long time. :bow

jj1288

His grandchildren use to call him Tata. When he passed so many amps and guitars were thrown away in a big trailer. About 100 were thrown away. At the time we did not know how big he was. That's something I know my dad regrets very much. We still have a few of his stuff but not as much as we should.

Trending Topics