Josh homme pickups?

Kerso1991

Hiya wondering if anyone knows what pickups josh homme uses on his guitars? His sig pickups on his maton bb1200jh are impossible to find if you don't spend a few grand on a maton and nowhere really says the specific pickups. I know on his #11 belaire(in black finish) has phat cats in it and his #73 and #86 (in orange and cream) have humbuckers, but I'm unsure of the specific pickups in any of these guitars. Can anybody help?

ProtoGuitars

For the Motor Aves, just ask Mark. You can email directly. Most likely Tom Holmes on the humbuckers though if they are early Motor Aves.

From what I gather, his echopark guitars have an Arcane Pickups Gold Coil, and they are currently working on a humbucker version of the gold coil for him, which may or may not already be in it. Sweet guitars.

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, just saw a picture of one of the humbucker versions...cool. Just when I was actually pretty happy to leave my pups alone.

gripweed

he uses symour duncan customs according to seymour duncans website.
The Custom Custom SH-11 is what he uses according to Duncan. I believe he only uses it in his Epi Dot. It is the same pickup as the Custom with an alnico II magnet instead of a ceramic magnet. It's a very midrangey pickup without the treble and bass of the Custom.

Lullabies

Do you guys think the pickups have a big impact on his sound ?

I use an Ibanez Artist I bought used with a upgraded bridge pup (no clue what it is, haven't taken it apart before) but it sounds pretty midrangy and thick. Anyways I can get Homme's SFTD tone easily. But I use an Ampeg setup and a Foxx tone machine clone which is what he used on the SFTD recording sessions into cranked VT-40s. My point is I don't think pickups make a huge difference if you are going after that kind of a sound. The most important part is the amp....Ampeg V4s/VT-22s/VT-40s and even the new GVT series are that sound. Midrange heavy grunty amps with a lot of power.

Ev O)))

the ovation ultra GPs had unlabelled dimarzio super distortions if my memory serves me correctly. Stock.

Trending Topics