• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Josh Klinghoffer joins Pearl Jam as touring guitarist

Cliffhydro

Silver Supporting Member

Announced from the stage last night. Not sure how I feel about this. Thoughts?

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I saw something about this yesterday, but haven't been able to find out anything 100%. Not really sure why they need another guitar player unless EV isn't going to play on stage anymore....I wonder if Boom is still touring with them?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member

Announced from the stage last night. Not sure how I feel about this. Thoughts?
Yeah… I saw this and was like, they need a 4th guitar player onstage?!? :huh

I was wondering if this has to do with Ed’s new solo release. Or… is Mike’s health possibly in play here?? (That last one I pull out of thin air on my own)

Cliffhydro

Silver Supporting Member
I have heard nothing about McCready’s health declining. Not sure where this is coming from. Plenty of video from last night out there and he sounded and looked great. He’s been all over social media the last few weeks. Including recent interviews on Sirius/XM for recent anniversaries of Ten and No Code. As far as I know he is fine. No real tour dates coming up either (next summer?) That’s why the whole thing seems odd to me.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
Me, too. He has Crohn's disease, right?
Correct.
From what I'm gathering from fan reviews, his onstage presence was definitely as a backing/auxiliary musician.
So not dual leads with McCready, or covering parts Mike would've taken the lead on.

So, I'm sure Mike would appreciate us being concerned, but no reports of Mike not being Mike onstage yesterday.

BigAl

First I've heard of this and agree with everyone saying do they really need a fourth guitar? Just checking the Pearl Jam Forum and there is speculation the Gigaton songs have additional parts that Josh is playing live.

bugzapper

There's video of the whole show on YouTube.

They sound great.

From what I've seen so far, Mike looks fine--energetic and playing very well.

Probably the reason for having Klinghoffer onstage is to fill out the new material, which is a bit more layered than much of their other stuff.

Marrsumm

Related - has Eddie Vedder put a post-Abbruzzese curse on subsequent Pearl Jam drummers that forbids them being being interesting? Jack Irons and Matt Cameron are great but it seems like they're not allowed to let loose in PJ.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, I dont know why they added Josh. I was thinking Stone or Mike had health issues, but I see them both rocking it out on stage.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom