Josh Smith tele tone (video)

squeally dan

Love this guy's tone. Check out the solo after Matt Schofield. To me, Matt's strat tone sounds fairly pedestrian next to Josh's tele tone. I think he uses 13s so that probably impacts his tone also.

Average Joe

The tone in isolation was pretty standard tele fare I thought. Nothing out of the ordinary. The playing otoh was first rate.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Dang, that is some good playing. Love the country licks he throws in.

Strat dude's tone is congested-sounding.

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't heard Josh in a while and that vid was mucho badass!! He seems to be moving a bit toward the West Coast blues stylings of Jr. Watson, sans a lot of bending. Love it!!!

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
two incredible face melting guitar players and colossal musical talents. tele's always sound more muscular to me & strats sound smoother and rounder sounding to me but OBVIOUSLY very player & objective dependent.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
oh, and c'mon! the way they handle the changes! blues players that don't run out of ideas are why this genre roots out wankers so cruelly.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Also because he plucks the Tele—no pick—at least early on in the solo.
Both good examples of Fender tone, imo...and playing.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Good stuff. I am a Strat guy and Matt's tone isn't what I would typically look for from a Strat, but still pretty dang'd good IMHO. What amp is he playing?

Could the camera location really impact which guitar we hear better?

EDIT... Josh really likes him some reverb! Not necessarily a bad thing. Even his pedal making buddy has called him out for the amount of 'verb he uses! LOL

squeally dan

The tone in isolation was pretty standard tele fare I thought. Nothing out of the ordinary. The playing otoh was first rate.
I liked the fact that it had the tele twang without the shrill harshness. I also like it because it doesn't sound like a strat. I think I'm getting burnt out on strat tone. I'm using a Nashville tele that actually sounds more strat than tele but still some tele in there.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
I love Josh's playing! I've been curious what size frets he's using on his Chapin. Surely big to bend those 13's.

Josh

Average Joe

I liked the fact that it had the tele twang without the shrill harshness. I also like it because it doesn't sound like a strat. I think I'm getting burnt out on strat tone. I'm using a Nashville tele that actually sounds more strat than tele but still some tele in there.
Oh yeah, a tele in blues is a nice change of pace. I've completely burned out on the strat blues tone myself.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I've been watching this video the last couple of days. It probably deserves it's own thread! IMO it's an amazing combination of technical skill and feeling for the blues. And some licks and phrasing that can only be described as badass.

Also, I really get a sense of the 13s in this one, which I don't necessarily see so much in other videos. His tone, yeah, but it really seems to impact his playing here, maybe interact with is a better way of putting it, in a very cool way. One thing I notice is that he doesn't bend a lot, either in frequency or as in big bends. Which is understandable! But that contributes to the nature of the playing in a very positive way also I think, instead of relying on bends he does it other ways.

Last edited:

Trending Topics