Journey Live 1974

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 316guitars, Feb 6, 2015.

1. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

This is my favorite solo from Neal Schon. This is when Journey's line up featured Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, George Tinker, Ainsley Dunbar and Ross Valorie.
    I wish Journey would do what the Scorpions have done, bring back all their former band mates for a song or two. Hmmm, I wonder what Randy Jackson is up too?

Enjoy
    The closing solo starts at 4:27 and is awesome!

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I saw these guys at the Rainbow on the Sunset strip.I went cause of Ansley Dunbar.

3. 316guitars

Fantastic musicians. I think this era of Journey tunes will someday receive the accolades it deserves. The first three albums have some exceptional music on them. It's all about the music.

4. Bloodspoint

Bloodspoint Member

Boy, you can really hear their Santana roots in that song.

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I bet I could play that well ....if I had a fro like that.

6. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

I saw Journey about 76ish and they were a force of nature. I had high hopes for them but then they turned into something else. I have always said they were a fusion band but a rock band flirting with jazz. That show was very intense and they really could cook and on a different level from the classic rock bands of the time, more virtuosity then the average. That era Journey is what I think of when I think of Journey. I have this whole show on a bootleg and there is a cd called Charge of the Light Brigade that has a whole live show from this time.

7. 316guitars

I love both sides of Journey. You have this incredibly talented band of guys who could literally outplay 90% of the rock bands of the day then the add the"voice" and are really a completely different band. Steve's vocals are to the singer what the original bands "virtuosity" was to the instrumentalist. The music is classic to me on both sides of the Steve Perry coin. I think Neal really shines from 1973-1979. Songs like Lights, Wheel in the sky etc. There is a quote from Ted Nugent talking about Neal... Google?

NEAL SCHON
    : "A brilliant guitarist — the best of rock 'n' roll, jazz, blues and an unknown original stylist. He's underrated; he's one of the most dexterous, fluid players around today. He accelerates Journey's music to the maximum every time. His best work is with Journey."
    -Ted Nugent

8. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

I am a big Schon fan, but actually prefer his later melodic playing.
    I saw him live this past summer in which I stood close by.
    Just a crazy good player, just wish he'd tone down the delay/reverb.

9. 316guitars

+1 on the delay and rev.... Too saturated. I'd love to see him go back to basics, recreate the tone he had on songs like lights and expand his guitar straight to amp "range" and let it fly.

10. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

I remember their Kohoutek (sp?) Mountain album - bet not many do. IIRC, there were no vocals, entirely instrumental. Well, there might have been *one* song with vox, but all I remember is it being an instrumental outing.

I still think his best playing was on the album in my sig. Melodic as hell, and playing with near-total abandon. The combination of he & Carlos was legendary on Santana 3.

That said, his later Journey work was both very melodic and virtuoso at the same time - no mean feat, that.

11. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Just have to throw this in.... A guy I bought equipment from is good friends with Schon. The top "A" cab was Neil's practice cab for many years...can't even start to imagine what has been played though it.
    Full of good "mojo".....:bow

[​IMG]

12. 316guitars

We're not worthy!

13. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I saw them New Years eve that year or the next at the Cow Palace opening for The Doobie Brothers, Neal was playing a beautiful cherry burst Gibson L5S that night
    I really have always enjoyed Journey and recently I watched the Peneda story on Netflix, I was still impressed with Journey, great band