Journo's 3 backing using 3 different tones

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Dec 23, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi,

First off, great job Journo! Great backing and great playing on yours. Happy holidays too....

I put this together this morning using the Glaswerks Super OD 50 into the Eminence Wizard. This is the absolute first time I am plugging this amp into the Wizard. I only recorded these 3 short segments to see how the various voices of the amp record. Certainly experimenting with mic position, amp controls, etc, may yield much different results. This clip was the only take I did. I stopped the take in between the tones. I did not switch on the fly, but I also did not change much on the amp controls either.

Here is the clip. The order of tones are clean channel, 80s voice, 90s voice. The switch from 80s to 90s occurs at 2:38 I am still in the process of setting the post od 90s voice. I think it could use a tad more growl. Fwiw, the clean part had the Baker on both pups, but neck on 8 not 10. The OD was bridge full on.

Less reverb version http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/journo3cleannohrmhrm.MP3

More reverb version http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/journo3cleannohrmhrm1.MP3

Once again, happy holidays!!

Scott

2. Normster

Normster Member

Dare I say it...LOVED the clean tones. haha
    The 80s tone is pretty astounding. A tribute both to you and to Gary. The 90s tone seemed to have just a bit of fuzz on it. I think once you have it dialed it's gonna kill.

3. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Norm! Yea... I need to turn down the treb trim a tad on the stack and turn up the mids or bass... I can also switch on the snubbers. I had them off for the 90s clip. Just that would smooth the heck out of the tone.

Thanks for commenting!

Scott

4. L5player

L5player Member

Sounded great Scott! I'm with Norm, loved the clean tones. And you are certainly rippin with the distortion! :)

Jim

5. journo

journo Member

Hi Scott,

I hoped that the twins would give you some time off to do a take on this BT. When I wrote it I was thinking of how much I wanted to be able to play like you of this. Sad case you live too far away for lessons.

I seem to be repeating myself but this was a killer take. I liked all the sounds but I do think I like the Fuchs clean sounds a tad better.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. PatB

PatB Member

dayum!!!:dude ....sick stuff.......as usual...cant really focus on the sound..buzy listening to ur phrasing..wich is sick!!!...:RoCkIn .id be up for some lessons too!!

7. Marcello

Marcello Member

loved it ! agreed with Journo on the clean tone, i prefer the Fuchs.

8. scottl

scottl Member

Well considering I never recorded the beasts cleans before, I don't think one can judge. Both amps have great cleans. This clip is not indicative at all. I also had the pickup selector in the middle with some bridge bias. I think maybe you guys mean that the cleans in "this" clip are not as nice as other clips I have done... ;)

Thanks again guys! Oh, Pat you are so full of poopies.... I need lessons from you!!!! Who you kiddin'?? LOL

9. gsozz

gsozz Member

Don't know if this was hrm or non hrm but it sounded great.
    Have a great Christmas
    Greg

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Great tones and playing! I think you are losing a little gain in the 90s part. Maybe turn the gain up just a notch more? It is definately smoother! Keep messing with those trimmers, you are almost there!

11. fig

fig Member

Excellent playing, Scott, as usual!!!
    I like the clean tone, but I have to be honest and say that I like the clean on the Fuchs better (your mods).

And I agree with Tag about the 80s being a bit better than the 90s. You're getting a really nice tone with the Wizard. Mine was too fuzzy on top.
    But I like your tone!

12. scottl

scottl Member

What is up with you guys?? I had the cleans set like this! I guess I'll have to record more cleans to prove they are great.... LOL Don't judge any amp based on a 1 minute snippet. I can say the cleans are certainly on par with any amp I have played. I only recorded this 1 snippet. No amp twiddling, no test clip, just first take. I had the guitar set up differently than usual as well for the cleans.

I do appreciate the comments in any event... ;)

13. fig

fig Member

Hey, what can I say? I love the clean channel on my amp (thanks!). :D
    But yeah, I want to hear more cleans from your amp . . .

14. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I think the cleans and drive sound great. The choice of notes help it sound good too. ;) Great clip! Tone and playing are top notch as usual. I look forward to hearing to tone evolve as you continue to spend more time tweaking the amp. You can hear the difference between the Wizard and the Tonespotter.

15. scottl

scottl Member

16. art420guitar

art420guitar Member

yo scott. enjoyed the clips, been a while. really cool stuff.

17. ivers

ivers Member

Smokin' playing, Scott! Tones sounded very nice, too. Happy Holidays, man :dude

18. Marcello

Marcello Member

hey the clean is great, don't get us wrong but the Fuchs sounds better :D kidding

Yeah please record some more with different pups positions !

19. Rid

Rid Senior Member

I liked the dry one alot:D
    Great lines and as usual great tones.

20. Mike

Mike Member

:eek: That last clip was a clinic! (tone and playing) My favorite tones from the new box. :JAM

[​IMG]

Mike