Joy by Apollo 100? Acoustic version

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ken Swanson, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

Ok this may be a long shot. About 10 or 12 years ago, Taylor guitars sent a promotional Christmas CD to Guitar shops that carried their guitars. There was a version of the song JOY, that was done in the 70s by a band called Apollo 100, that an artist did on the CD. So here is the question. Does anyone know the name of the Artist that did this acoustic version, or does anyone have a copy of the CD? I used to have a copy of it, but it was lost years ago. If anyone has any info that would be very cool.

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

"Joy" is based on "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" by Bach. Is it possible you heard Jesu instead?

3. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Sorry, I have no information on the artist or version from the Taylor promo CD.

I actually have an old book from the early 70's called 50 Top Ten Hits!, which features notation for the piece and lists it as "Joy", with the copyright given being 1972, the year that Apollo 100 had the big radio hit. This was well before I began to learn to read music, as there are pencil markings in my book for the note names over or under the notes on the staff, for treble and bass clef. It must've taken me weeks to do all that!

As for acoustic guitar, the piece is a staple of the classical repertoire. There should be no shortage of recordings, tutorials, standard notation and tablature documents available with some searching.

Parkening:

Morse:

I have an old Leo Kottke record which contains an interesting version:

4. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

Hey Guys,
    thanks for the info so far. Actually the version I heard on the Taylor CD was identical to the Apollo 100 version. It was faster, and had the same intro and lead break. The other versions you guys posted are very beautiful. I love the Stever Morse version. Keep em coming