Joyo pedal - DC jack recessed too far

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dru Edwards, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dru Edwards

Dru Edwards Member

Hey everyone. I just got my first Joyo pedal last night, the JF-01 OD. I'm using a Boss power supply, connected into my TU-2 Tuner, and then using a daisy chain connector to power my other pedals.

The problem I'm having is that the daisy chain barrel connector doesn't fit all the way into the Joyo DC jack because the jack is recessed too far into the pedal. I'm assuming that's the issue as why it doesn't work. Pedal works great with a battery.

I'm assuming there are power supplies out there with longer barrel connectors? Any other options?

Thanks.

2. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

I've found that daisy chain connectors can be shorter than the end of a standard power supply plug. Sounds like that is the problem. Does the plastic end hit the enclosure and stop?

Be sure that any unused plugs on the daisy chain are not touching anything or better yet taped off. Also, if the outside of the daisy chain plug (which is + voltage) is touching the pedal enclosure it will short out and not work.

Lastly, it could just be the power jack itself is broken or not soldered well.

3. Dru Edwards

Dru Edwards Member

Thanks for the info. The plastic barrel end does go into the pedal's DC jack enclosure but I'm guessing it doesn't go in far enough and that's the problem (hopefully). I'll have a standard power supply to try out later tonight or tomorrow and that will let me know.

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Try a dedicated 9 v supply. Most have skinny barrels. The other thing you can try is belt/sand the barrel that's too fat.

5. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

The daisy chain on my onespot powers both my joyo pedals

6. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have had the same type of issues - a Joyo with a poorly installed DC jack - so the adapter barrel doesn't reach in far enough to make a proper connection.

Another knock off mini pedal had a different issue - adapter barrel wouldn't go in - DC Jack opening was too small to accept the barrel - weird.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

You can replace the 2.1mm barrel connector. The standard length of the barrel connectors are 9mm long, but they do make 14mm long barrel connectors as some effects like wah pedals have recessed DC outlets.

8. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

You'll have the same problem on ZVex pedals with a standard Boss adapter. It works, sorta', but just barely. There are a couple of solutions. On my own pedals, I just make the hole big enough that the entire Boss plug passes through the case...looks a little wonky, but it's functional. So you can just enlarge the hole. The other solution is to simply replace the plug with something that has a longer barrel. Most other power supplies seem to have long barrels and this just really isn't a problem. That molded case on the Boss PS is enormous!

Maybe just bring the pedal to Guitar Center and see what they have that works. I know the power supply I have on my own board has long barrels. I think the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power does to, and that's a great power supply so this might be a good excuse to dump the wall warts and wire up your board with one of those.

9. Dru Edwards

Dru Edwards Member

Good to know guys. I'm going to borrow a friend's dedicated 9v supply. If that works, I'll buy one.

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

10. valvestate

valvestate Member

Im using a Joyo Ultimate Drive with a 1-spot daisy chain and it seems to be working properly.

11. tuj

tuj Member

dremel to the rescue!

12. John Coloccia

Personally, I'd use a unibit. It will go through the enclosure like a hot knife through butter!

13. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

yes i agree bore it out with one step on a unibit.

14. Dru Edwards

Dru Edwards Member

I have a dremel set but I'm unfamiliar with unibit. Is it just another high speed rotater tool or is it a dremel attachment?

Update: I tried the power adapter from my Soul Food and the Joyo works. At least I know that there's no issue with the pedal.

15. John Coloccia

16. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

Bore the hole as others have said.