Joyo US DREAM Praise!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bentayuk, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

When I first picked this up at Christmas, I'll admit I didn't think much of it. It lacked the gain structure and presence I thought it would have. I compared it to my Plexitone and was not impressed. So I put it aside for a bit.

I got it out the other day, and just maxed the gain, and 9'o clocked the tone, and Wow! Instant amazing lead tone! Like one of the best I've ever had! Seriously amazing sustain, it just held on forever!
    Then I tried some 80's hair rhythms into 90's AIC, and it was just awesome! It has a open, uncompressed tone that none of my other pedals has. Boosted its just insane, singing leads for days!!!

I've since moved on from the Plexitone, I just had too many grievances with it and my current setup. Now I have the Wampler Plextortion and this pedal, THIS PEDAL, YES THE JOYO US DREAM. Can do similar tones with ease! In fact I think it does a better lead tone, flat out!
    Now I don't think this is a slight against the Wampler, that's waaaay more versitile and all round better. But this little $40 joy is just kicking so much ass!

Honestly, it makes me wonder about the Suhr Riot, but that'll come in due time.
    Right now, this pedal has no competition in its price range! I can't say how many $100+ distortion pedals I've played that literally dreams of doing what this little guy is pulling off!

[​IMG]

2. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Nice to hear such a glowing review, I have one in the mail right now :)

3. Bentayuk

I should say I've now pulled the gain back to 9'o clock and it's set as in the picture above, sings beautifully! I tried again this morning, and my Plextortion can't get there. That said they are different pedals, both with their own advantages. But the fact that this $40 pedal can outshine a $200 is really saying something.

4. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I bought one a couple of years ago -when the buzz was starting.
    I only paid $35, so I was excited for a great deal on a cool pedal.

I got it - tried it once - went "meh" - never used it again.

maybe I need to take it out and play around some more, try some different amp/guitar combos.

5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Same here. I've found a bunch of other pedals that gave me the tone I wanted a lot better than the US Dream did. Mooer Cruncher and Caline Englishman are a couple that come to mind.

I'll have to plug it in again and see if it's any better than I remember. I'm using a completely different rig now than back when I got it so maybe with this setup it'll work better for me.

6. Bentayuk

I had a Mooer Cruncher and I don't think they're very similar. For all the posts putting the Suhr Riot / US Dream in the MIAB category. I have never agreed with this. Whereas the Cruncher is based on a Marshall crunch sound, the US Dream is far smoother, like an SLO.

Try boosting the Joyo for extra singing tone, it's so sweet! Gain and Tone at 9, and a clean boost up front, is heaven for me.
    It's not a Marshall sound, it's just a great less compressed rock and lead tone pedal.

7. bkatx

bkatx Member

I agree. I've had the Dream pedal for awhile and never got the MIAB comparison either. It's way too smooth for what I consider the Marshall sound.

I also like the Joyo Tube Screamer clone, but right now I'm using the Dream more often as a lead boost

8. Bentayuk

I have the Joyo Ultimate Drive on the way, after seeing a side-by-side with the Fulltone OCD. The US Dream already sounds awesome with my MXR ZW-44, so I'm interested to see how it will compare.