JP Guitarworks Expandora

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wamba, Mar 26, 2015.

1. wamba

wamba Member

All I can say is WOW!

This pedal followed me home recently and I am completely blown away. This pedal is a clone of the Bixonic Expandora made by JP Guitarworks. The original Expandora is considered among the first boutique pedals produced. The original gained quite a following after Billy Gibbons used it almost exclusively on ZZ Top's Rhythmeen album. (go listen now so you know what this pedal sounds like)

[​IMG]

My rig consist of a 2013 Epiphone Les Paul Plustop PRO (I've upgraded with all new 50's wiring and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, all work completed by Jeff Parlier) into an Egnater Tweaker 15 head and tweaker 1x12 cabinet.

This pedal definitely produces those classic gated-fuzz Rhythmeen tones! However, it also has three other "modes" available via the two switches on the front panel. This pedal is capable of almost any kind of overdrive except metal type tones. From a smooth just barely overdriven sounds, to a great medium crunch, to a fairly aggressive distortion (Ratt like) to an "Oh, man! is this thing fun to play!!!" raunchy fuzz tone! The other thing to keep in mind is the Expandora is extremely sensitive to the players dynamics. If you play with a light touch is really cleans up but if you dig in hard the overdrive really comes on strong. The circuit is also very responsive to adjustments in the guitars volume control.

Bottom line, this pedal looks (kinda aged looking) and sounds fantastic! I understand why the original is such a legend.

I recommend you contact Jeff at JP Guitarworks for all your custom pedal builds!

(I don't work for JP Guitarworks in any way, I just love his work and want to pass along the information)

2. scolfax

scolfax Member

3. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

Cool. JD Cronise from The Sword is using a modified version of an expandora right now and it sounds killer. His bass player re-housed it and made the other modes foot switchable with different colored leds.

4. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

5. wamba

wamba Member