JP's Rig on "Since I've Been Lovin' You"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rotten, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I broke this out for the first time in a long time. Any Jimmy Page fans know the exact set-up he used for this tune? It's awesome. Thanks!

2. garytube

garytube Member

Not sure of the exact gear, but I read an interview with Page, and seem to recall that song was one of the more difficult ones for him to nail down...I think he had gone through a few amps before he settled on the final amp(whatever that is, I don't recall him revealing amp info for that song in the article). To me the intro stuff at least sounds like some kind of semi- or hollowbody guitar. Amazing tone and feel!

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Bump because I'm interested as well.

From what I've read elsewhere, I'm not sure JP even remembers...he plugs into so many amps.

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Sorry I'm no help on the amp, but...
    The guitar sounds like a Telecaster to me. Listen to the turnaround and how he kind of pops the strings for the "Bu dum ba da dum", "Bu dum ba da dum" part.
    Also when he lays into the solo in the middle of the song. Very trebly, not alot of bass, like a telecaster's bridge pickup.

5. cugel

cugel Member

i really think page (and LZ for that matter) can do slow dynamic blues as good as anyone ever. great playing on that one. shows how to use a volume control/picking dynamics
    i always thought it was his burst into a marshall since the tele was the for "special" uses after LZ1

6. Peppy

Peppy Member

To my ears it's a Les Paul in the middle toggle position at the start...no idea what amp.

7. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Personally being very familar with this combination my bet is that it's an original Burst into a Marshall, with no pedals. As much as Page likes small amps in the studio at times, the tone he got on this track is quite similar to what he got live with the LP and big Marshalls.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

it was a les paul with a tone bender going into a Sunn amp (the amp is mostly speculation on this tune, but the semi-consensus is a sunn combo).

The LP and tonebender fuzz are for sure though.... anybody who's owned either can tell you that straight off the bat.

9. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

My ears don't hear a Tone Bender in there. It sounds to me like a a simple Les Paul-through-cranked-Marshall combo. On the intro, I hear him playing on the neck pickup with the volume rolled way down, and then he throws the pickup selector switch to the bridge pickup, which is set at full volume. FWIW, with my LP and 1974X, using the technique just described, I can pretty much "nail" the tones in this song to my satisfaction (it was one of the "test" songs I played that made me decide to buy the amp when I was auditioning it).

10. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

11. cugel

cugel Member

yeah i always thunk it was a switch to the bridge PUP also when he digs in
    FWIW i doubt there is a bender either since my byoc mkII clone has some much f'ing fuzz its unbelievable

12. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

There's no fuzz on SIBLY, live or studio.

13. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i think page used an mkiii but i could be wrong.

14. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

That tunes rocks on the DVD. :BEER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Butterfly

Butterfly Gold Supporting Member

jmp-what input/settings do you use on your 1974x to get your Jimmy? I have one and like to hear how others work this simple, but deceptively complex amp.
    thx

16. Free

Free Member

I guess I'll mention how the solo section amp and rhythm section amps are different. It sounds like a simple LP into Marshall Super Lead combination for the rhythm parts, with subtle volume pot control variance of course.

However, the solo is where the tone gets really interesting: I read a Page interview about ten years ago - he stated that was having a hell of a time getting the right tone for the solo of SIBLY, and that he happened to FIND an amp right outside the control room door that somebody had left from a previous session. Of course, Page doesn't tell what the amp was. Interesting all the same though.

17. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I read an interview with JP about 10 years ago and remember that he said that he used a LP through a 72 Marshall 1/2 stack. He cranked the amp, and used the middle position on the pickup selector. The volume on the bridge pickup was set at 7, and on the neck was 10. I tried that setting with my Historic Flametop LP, and a Soldano SLO...using the Warren Haynes mod and the gain set at 11 O'Clock and got pretty close to that tone. I don't recall which magazine...either Guitar Player or Guitar World...as I used to have subscriptions to both, but eventually got rid of them when I moved from the Silicon Valley to Chicago.

I learned the opening parts note for note, and I really got it close. I wish I had a recording of it. Now when I play that song, I use my Kurt Wilson HB Special with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups, and the SL2 Module on my Egnater Mod 50. I set up the guitar pickup settings the same way and can get pretty close with that as well.

With my Kurt Wilson HB Special, that is actually my setting for all my slow blues solo parts and it is sweet. Now I find it less important to copy somebody's tone and feel, but try to do all my playing in my own way, using technique and tones from all of my infulences combined in an effort to have my own style. I'll learn somkething note for note sometimes, then in time gradually change the way I play it to make it mine.
    :RoCkIn

18. thegame

thegame Member

The live version of this song on TSRTS DVD is the best Les Paul tone I've ever heard by far.

19. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

20. justonwo

justonwo Member

The guitar sounds like pure Les Paul to me. Not sure what amp. I'm sure you can get convincingly close with lots of amps. The studio and TSRTS versions sound very close in my mind.

The solo definitely sounds like the middle toggle on a Les Paul to me.