jrffite: Set Fire To The Rain - Adele (guitar cover/with slide solo)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jrf, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jrf

jrf Member

So... Decided to amuse myself with a cover of a very popular artiste. I wrote most of my guitar parts myself (or adapted them off the piano lines), since the original song has barely any significant guitar parts. Added a slide solo at 3:20. Critique my slide work!

MIJ 1993 Strat - (Chrome slide) - BB Preamp - Tone Press - Crunchbox - 2x DD20 - Mbox2 - Reaper amp plugin. Original track left, guitar right.

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Very nice! Such a great tune.

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I do not say this too often, but

WOW!:eek::eeks:omg:rockin

Not being familiar with her work, next time I hear that song, I'm going to miss that tasty guitar work.

I also want to give major props for your use of captioning to explain what you were doing. Very informative and I learned something from watching your video. Thanks, and keep up the good work. :aok

4. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

very nice! Great job!

5. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

I am with BluesforDan, WOW. I enjoy working with recordings without prominent guitar, but you're on a whole other level. Your use of variation is excellent and all too frequently missing from guitar-centric videos.

And again +1 what Bluesfor Dan said; including the captions to explain your thinking and technique is way cool.

6. jrf

jrf Member

Thanks so much guys. I do enjoy doing such covers. It was challenging to write guitar lines that would sit nicely around this vocal, since the song is really very vocal-centric. And I figured the captions would give a little insight into what I'm playing, and why I play such lines. Glad you guys liked them. :)

7. DaveSemach

DaveSemach Member

A few days ago, I was very impressed with this video. His playing, feel, tone, and contribution to the song was great.
    I continued to watch the video a couple times a day for a few days for enjoyment.
    And now I see that this guy has a bunch of other videos like this on his channel. Check them out. They're all good.

I wish I had those log fingers though. I cant reach my thumb over to do anything useful. :(

8. DaveSemach

DaveSemach Member

meant to say "long fingers"
    you don't have log fingers

9. jrf

jrf Member

Thanks for the shoutout DaveSemach, means a lot. :) I'm not the most technical player around, so I cover these songs with an emphasis on rhythm and chords. Glad you like them.

The thumb over stuff is fairly easy depending on which guitar you use imo. My strat's neck is a fairly narrow, C shaped affair with the 7.25" radius. Makes chording a breeze.

10. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

That sounded great, nice job!!

11. jrf

jrf Member

Thanks pinner. You've got some killer stuff on your channel too. :)