JS 1200 guitar, junk or not bad?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I did play a JS 100 once, didn't like it all. My friend tells me that the 1200 is really a great rock guitar. Anyone have one still, made past the honeymoon?

2. damo7v

damo7v Member

I can tell you that the Korean made JS100 and the Japanese made JS1000, 1200, etc. are worlds apart. First two differences that come to mind are the bridge and pickups.

The Edge Pro bridge on the Japanese model is one of the finest double-lockers around (I have this bridge on two of my current guitars).

3. Cary Chilton

4. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

My guitar teacher plays a JS1000 or 1200, can't remember which one... I have jammed on it a few times and it is a great guitar... www.robmetz.com... He actually has a couple... One is a custom paint job done at Lays Guitar in Akron, Ohio.

Very comfortable to play is what I remember the most, and it stays in tune very nicely

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. kodecar

kodecar Member

I have a JS1000 that I really like a lot. Lots of tones available, stays in tune extremely well, and plays great. The neck is not what I would call a shredder neck. Narrow(ish) nut, smaller frets, and rounded profile.

6. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

I'm Gas'in for one of the fixed bridge 1600's in silver.

7. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

The 1200's certainly better than the 100.

8. Cary Chilton

actually I just checked out the js1600, looks cool! fixed bridge, mahogany body, could be a nice tone monster. Not sure if I would keep the pickups though.

9. chone

chone Member

Let's put it this way, if an American Fender is worth $1100, then a Gibson R9 is worth the same.

The ignorance is large in this one.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ibanez guitars are always winners in their price point. An $1100 Ibanez is a tough guitar for any manufacturer to beat. I've fooled around a bit with the top end JS in a store and it felt and played great.

11. acwild

acwild Member

You can get the JS guitars on E-Bay for dirt cheap. I have a JS1000 and love it. It's very balanced, stays in tune, has a good variety of usable tones, and is nice and light. If I leave my standard eq settings, the bridge pickup can come across as harsh, but it's just a matter of tweaking the eq to solve that. I think the stock pickups are good enough to keep.
    The high pass filter on the volume knob is very useful if you're one of those who mess with your guitar's volume a lot. I certainly do and wish it were on all of my guitars.
    The neck has a very nice natural feeling finish on the back. Almost an unfinished feel. Ibanez does a great job with that. I'd compare the carve to a slightly thicker Fender C shape with a compound radius board.
    Overall, it's a very comfortable guitar. With the prices I've seen them on E-Bay for ($700 usd and up), they're really a bargain. Jmho.

12. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

13. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

JS1000's and JS1200's are very good instruments. Those used to a Strat's neck feel won't feel lost on the JS neck. I prefer the PAF Joe in the 1200 over the PAF Pro in the 1000 but, not by much.

14. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i played a gold js1000 and it rocked the OD, but the clean were horrible... just like a peavey wolfgang. i passed it off as a fad.