JTM 45 clones/ Germino/ Louis Electric

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pjrhd28, Apr 17, 2008.

1. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Well, I've gone nuts over the clean and dirty Germino sound clips of the 2 x 12 Classic 45 combo on the Germino web site. Couple of questions:

1. What other amps might produce these tones? Z Rt 66? Reinhardt? Any with Reverb and/ or Master volume? 65 or Divided by 13?

2. How loud are they before the magic begins? Louder than a Vibro King between 3 and 4?

3. Seems to me the El-34 or KT-66 is a prerequisite. Do any El-84 amps replicate those tones? I know my 4 EL-84 Mesa LSS won't.

4. Would Germino include a 1/2 power switch? Who are the good dealers?

5. How heavy? Are the Greenback reissues the best speaker option?

6. Anyone have any experience with the Louis Electric mini bluesbreaker?

Any other advice would be appreciated

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

Get a Germino ........you will not regret your purchase. With 6v6's it is not as loud. Call Greg Germino and he will give you all the advice you need.

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I don't have a 45, but do have the Germino Club 40. Incredible amp, running through an open back Germino 2 X 12 loaded with the Heritage Greenies. They're not as efficient as the regular G12's, so they're not quite as loud. . .but they are loud. I tame the amp with a Dr. Z AirBrake and run a Keely Compressor and Maxon 808 in front of the amp. Gives just about anything you could want. . .Highly recommended! :RoCkIn

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

There are sound clips of the full sized Louis Bluesbreaker and Louis Baby Bluesbreaker on the Louis Electric Amps forum, just in case you didn't know. I'm not very familiar with Germino amps other than the website and clips. They are certainly superbly built amps. But so are Louis Electric amps. And if sound clips are the only thing a buyer has to go by, check 'em both out and make your decision. For me and my ears it's the Louis Electric hands down. Don't get me wrong, the Germino has great, great, tone. But the Louis Electric seems to me to be much truer to the original Bluesbreaker tone. That's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt...YMMV.

Tom

5. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Check out the Soultone 45ME as well. It has JTM and Plexi modes via a switch on the back and both SS and tube rectifiers along with Power Scaling. Lots of extra features and great JTM tone to boot! Even has external bias points that make it a breeze to swap power tubes. No more pulling the chassis to bias the amp.

6. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Germino with 6v6s will kill it. Best old school Marshall tones, IMO, and the best customer service around.

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

some answers to yor questions...

side by side against really great sounding vintage marshalls, Germinos sound identical. If old Marshall cleans and dirt are your bag, Germinos are fantastic. If you want a different voice, check out the Mazerati GT (marshall and trainwreck tones- nice combination). Also Reinhart makes stellar amps, and I believe there is an EL34 amp in his line. He makes absolutely great 18 watters too.

8. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I had a Classic 45 and a Club 40 at the same time. IMO, the Club 40 will do everything the Classic 45 will do (better) and isn't much louder. Also, because I like the amp to have a bit of dirt, I found that I had the 45 turned up full to get a driven classic-rock tone where the Club 40 gets that tone earlier on the dial. So I sold the 45 and kept the Club 40.

I use Heritage Greenbacks in a Germino open-back 2X12 , a Dr Z Airbrake and a Clear Sonic plexiglass shield to tame the volume. It's still not a bedroom amp but it sounds amazing clean or dirty and isn't crazy loud.

9. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to all you guys for some great responses. I have some more homework to do.

10. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I just got a Rockytop JTM45 that is sweet, may be a more reasonbly priced alternative..

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure where you play but for my ears the Classic 45 doesn't seem as loud as most people claim it to be.

I played last night at home with the volume at noon with my Baker and it was loud but not wife hollering loud.

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

2. How loud are they before the magic begins? Louder than a Vibro King between 3 and 4?

Loud. NMV. With humbuckers a little past noon. With single coils about 7 on the dial. But the cleans below these levels is awesome as well. Takes dirt pedals very well (e.g. OCD sounds amazing through the Classic 45).

5. How heavy? Are the Greenback reissues the best speaker option?

My 2x12 combo is pretty heavy but not out of the question. Fender Twins are heavier.

Germino amps are built like nobody's business. Greg is fanatical about his quality from every component to every solder. He's a master craftsman.