JTM 45 Marshall clone builder recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kenny Blue, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I have been getting more and more interested in vintage type Marshall amps lately. I have done a fair amount of research and tried to listen to recordings and demo videos, as well as learn what specific Marshall models from the 1960s ( the era which I am interested in in regards to Marshall tones) were used in specific recordings which I like the specific tones of that Marshall which was used in that recording.

I love all of the various different Marshall tones from that era but I realize that I, right now, am most attracted to the JTM 45 and the JTM 45/100. I would love to be able to afford either a Germino Classic 45 or a Metropoulos JTM45 but they are rather out of my price range currently... as lovely as they are.

I have learned some about the Rockitt Retro amps and they seem to be very well made and use the best components, similar to Metropoulos and Germino. And I understand that up to just a few years ago Metropoulos offered the amps that George now builds, in kit form. But that the kits are no longer available from Metro amps. And although Rockitt Retro amps seem like a great amp for the prices ( between $1000 and $1500 range)... he does not offer the JTM45 model specifically.

So... looking on Ebay, I see at least a couple of builders who offer various builds, the JTM 45 included... and are using high quality parts and Mercury Magnetic trannies... and the photos seem to show good worksmanship. (But then admittedly I do not know electronics very well and am not a good judge of the electronic worksmanship of hand built amps). Those two builders, that I noticed on Ebay, were Slingo amps and Carl's custom amps.

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions as to builders, possibly who you have bought an amp from or know about personally, who build the JTM45 with high quality parts /and trannies (like those used in Metro amps for example) and do a great job of building. And who sell their amps for around the prices of the Rockitt Retro amps.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Zen Guitar

Zen Guitar Member

You might look on the Metro Amp forums, as there are a number of folks who build amps as a hobby/passion who have good skills and source quality parts and sometimes sell the amps they build.

That said, I think that one of the things that you get with Germino and Metropoulos besides the build quality and parts, is that Greg and George both have a lot of experience, "well-tuned ears," and access to original specimens of the amps, to ensure that the amps they build sound "right."

I understand financial barriers, so am not meaning to suggest options that are unrealistic... Just a word of caution in choosing a lesser expensive option based on other criteria, as not all clones sound the same.

In terms of a JTM45 vs JTM45/100... Despite the preamp stage similarities, there is a good amount of difference between these two amps in terms of tone and response, so spend a bit of time deciding on which you prefer at the moment. I think my next amp purchase will be a JTM45/100 as well. ;-)

Best of luck!

3. bradtfw

bradtfw Member

I am interested in other's recommendations as well.

MetroAmp spec "kits" are now available from ValveStorm; if you are comfortable building your own amp. I priced a JTM45 build with MetroAmp spec Heyboer transformers, SoZo coupling caps, NOS Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors (select positions only), and standard MetroAmp spec parts for everything else: it costs about $1150 for parts (shipping not included).

It's too bad that Rockitt doesn't make a JTM45 (or JTM45/100), because he would probably charge $1199 for a JTM45 build with high quality parts.

4. jessness

jessness Member

Check out Avatars 45.

5. pickslide

pickslide Member

Rockitt does not do jtm45s at this time. ...I asked him a few weeks ago

6. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Here we go again... again.

7. DV52

DV52 Member

There is a guy in Ashville that makes them. The Amp Shop . John Shuske . very reasonable prices. I played one of his at an amp show. I think it is the same set up as mojo and a few other kits that some guys here always recommend .

8. Kenny Blue

Hey... thanks. I did not know these existed.

Not sure how the components that they have chosen compare with the ones used in the "more historically correct" Metropoulos and Germino models and how the tone is effected but from some of the demos available (including the one below) this amp sounds pretty good. Nice features on the amp too, although they obviously were not available on the vintage models. They have Classic Tone transformers.

This guy certainly does push this amp !

I will say that if I had the clear ability to get a Germino or a Metro amp I would so. They are beautiful amps and I would love to own one ( or well really... several of the models ).

9. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a clone built by Will Rommerman at Tone Amps in California.
    Has Sozo's, MM Tranny's a PPIMV, Bias points and external pots
    Has a Line out, and a buffered loop.
    Very very nice workmanship. We talked at length about exactly how I wanted this amp to sound and feel. What kind of music I played and what I wanted to play through it. I was looking for early Cream. Will Nailed it.
    It was about $1600 shipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

It may exceed your budget, but Dave Gries makes one.

Forty Tube Amp. Based on Marshall JTM45 or 5F6A Bassman.

http://www.griesamps.com/id4.html

I have the 15w version. It's high quality and Dave is a pleasure to work with.

11. louis

louis Supporting Member

12. Kenny Blue

Man... that's really funny actually. These videos are the ones, out of the many I have been listening to about the JTM45, which are also my favorite and which I am focused on wanting that bluesy, rather low gain tone.

I find that almost every video demo I find, demoing Marshall amps, the person doing the demo puts the gain up all the way. It's like everyone figures that the only way to play a Marshall is maxed out.

I really prefer the gain down most of the time. I want to hear the guitar, the strings, especially with the JTM. Listen to Clapton's tone on the You Tube video of Cream at Winterland in March 1968. Much of the time his guitar sounds almost clean, and but also very agressive, in your face, pushing the speakers... at the same time. Listen to Spoonful ( the second song at 6:20 ). That's the tone.

13. Kenny Blue

These seem like excellent amps as well. Too bad there are really no video demos of them. They also use 6L6 power tubes instead of KT66s. I know that they are related but also that they differ some in tonal characteristics.
    Hard to consider them when you can't hear them.

14. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Umm, no Sozo's in those pics... Just high quality Mallory 150's which are really authentic sounding IMO

15. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Brian's Guitars in CT has a used Metropolous GPM45 for $1500

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

That is a steal!!!! Grab it quick!

17. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thank's for posting !!

I see you have taste !

18. Kenny Blue

Thanks for the heads up ! I looked at the website and it looks like that amp is sold.

I did find a couple of Marsh Amp JTM45 clones for sale at Wolfe's Guitars... searching through Gbase. From the info it looks like Marsh uses high quality parts and trannies.

Anyone have any knowledge of Marsh Amps as a builder ?

19. mxvin

mxvin Member

20. 71strat

71strat Member

Id go to Valve Storm and get the GMP45 kit with all the Mustard caps, Lemoco ect for about $1200-$1300 and then have someone put it together.

A guy Muchxs over at Telecaster TDPRI does amps and has a Stellar Reputation both there and all over the net for both building and making more reliable examples of old amps. Not that hed change the JTM45. But he knows his stuff and will put it together for the best price and correctly.

I have a Metro Built Limited Edition and uts as good of a JTM45 as I could ever hope for.

You can get all these parts from Valve Storm. My next amp with be the Valve Storm JTM45/100 kit and have Muchxs at TDPRI assemble it.

I don't think a more Vintage Accurate JTM45 than this 1 ( mine ) can be made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]