JTM 45 RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crazyneddie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Hey all, I have been looking for a Marshall type amp and ive run into an opportunity to buy a JTM45 RI head. I was thinking the sag and feel is something I like, but wanted specifics about where on the volumes I would expect it to start to break up. I have owned a DSL50 and back in the day assorted other Marshalls. Wondering just how loud this amp is if using inefficient speakers? All info appreciated. Also, is 1200 clams a fair price for one of these in used (gigged) condition?

2. supercreep

supercreep Member

nothing like the dsl50. i am assuming that you know that. it will be loud before breakup even with g12m20's
    you could play a smallish/medium sized gig without much break up

3. illini

illini Member

Have you played one? Not at all like DSL gain. It stays pretty clean amp until really pushed, and this is pretty loud. Beautiful cleans and with an overdrive sounds great, but this may not be what you are after.

4. TwangAddict

TwangAddict Member

JTM45's are loud. I have a 1960AX with it, and it can handle a lot of volume before starting to break.

5. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Yes it's what I'm after, the DSL had way too much gain for me and the voicing and feel were not for me. I've used a Bassman ri and thought the breakup was too harsh, so I'm looking for that awesome round clean and fat dirty sounds with guitar knob sensitivity. I also have been looking to try a vintage modern but can't find one near me.

6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

It's going to break up differently depending on what guitar you use. With a Les Paul, it'll start breaking up around 4-5. With a Strat, around 6-7. You don't really start to get decent dirt until 9-10. It loves pedals and cleans up beautifully.

1200 isn't bad. If you look around for a while, you can find one for 1000.

Set all the knobs to 6 and enjoy.

7. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I had one and loved it. But I had to use a Hotplate to get the sound I wanted at a useable volume. Without an attenuator, it's just going to sound loud and clean. I think $1200 is reasonable for one that's not abused, and in good working order. I wouldn't pay any more than that though.

8. JB6464

JB6464 Member

The JTM45's are great amps.
    With a few resistor changes you can make it a JTM50 with the tube recto or insert a SS copper cap in the GZ34 socket and make it a 1987 lead amp .
    One of the best kept secrets of the JTM45 amps .

9. illini

illini Member

Interesting. I love my JTM 45 RI the way is, but I must admit this post is causing and itch. The 1987 lead specs has me intrigued.

10. zos

zos Member

Just put a zvex box of rock in front of it and away you go .

Instant JTM45 cranked !

Seriously , they are a really good pedal .

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

The RI's are much tighter and louder than stock in my experience. They use 50uf filtering in all the stages. They sound great, but they are much tighter , louder, and aggressive sounding than a true, stock circuit...