JTM 45..

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
i have had many Mesa Amps...and Marshall style pedals. The pedal I find comes closest to satisfying my Marshall fix is the OCD. It seems this is modeled after the JTM 45. That makes me feel I need to delve into a JTM 45 style amp. Just a couple questions
1. Is the JTM 45 a lower gain amp? I wouldn't call the OCD lower gain, but seems I've heard some say that amp doesn't have a ton of gain.
2. Can the JTM be boosted into higher gain territory? Not metal of course...but good crunch.

I am really thinking maybe this is my holy grail of tone...just trying to get more info. Thanks so much!

lkft

The JTM 45 tone the OCD is derived from is the cranked tone, really-really-really loud and proud. Do you need that much volume to achieve the said tone? Most ppl don't and hence the need for the pedal. The JTM 45 stays pretty clean until you start getting it around noon and then you're moving some serious air. If you can handle the volume then yes the amp will sound glorious!

Hacksaw

Time Warped
I think jtm45 is about mid gain, I run mine fairly clean and kill it with a tone freak severe, searing leads. With a 2x12 scumback blackbacks I have great clean/crunch to scream. I've been liking it.

Jtm45 loves pedals.

M

member 124523

watching this thread since I'm waiting for a yba-1 to arrive. never liked the OCD pedal though...

M

member 124523

I don't think any OCD pedal I have played through sounds anything close to any JTM 45 I have played through or owned. And I like JTM45s.
My only experience is les paul, 59's > OCD > TRRI is sounded very bad to me. It sounded like solid state distortion... like my first gorilla amp. Okay not that bad, but not a tone I wanted to play.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I'd also call it mid gain. You can boost it, but the low end starts to fall apart with too much gain. I love my JTM45 warts and all. You really need to budget for some sort of attenuation if you plan to buy one.

coldengray

Avatar 45 is a great amp but has more of a later 60s Marshall sound. It does a great job of delivering what people expect as "The Marshall Sound" by modding the JTM45 to remove some of the worts/charm.

I read once that Paul C developed the Timmy specifically for a Les Paul with a Marshall...could be wrong but that's what I read on TGP. When I use it with my JTM45 it doesn't color the amp, just gives me more.

JTM45s have more gain than people think. The perfect pedal for that amp is a Timmy.
Though I'm sure a Timmy would sound great for a modest (less than modern gain levels for sure) boost, for anything beyond lighter gain, I'd suppose some sort of boost that tightened up the bass distorting in the preamp would be necessary to prevent muddiness. One approach is a rangemaster type of pedal, another is a tubescreamer or Klon type. Too much linear (transparent) boost would almost certainly cause fartiness with that circuit.

That is why, when Dave Friedman based his DS40 amp on a modded jtm45 platform, he had to tighten it up a little bit rather than leave it literally the same as a jtm45. That's why that amp is so good, as he struggled with those issues so you don't have to.

Last edited:

coldengray

Rangemasters dramatically change the tone and I don't believe one was used on the Beano album. The Lumpy's SLPre Treble Booster works well with a JTM. It approximates the preamp of a lead spec Marshall.

Friedman changed the coupling cap values and cascaded the gain stage. I am not sure if he increased filtering.

One really needs to run the bass at 0 when playing a JTM45 with humbuckers.

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty loud amps IMO. Can get muddy, keep the bass at zero. Takes pedals great! Got a 1x12 coming soon, make it a bit more portable.

coldengray

Avatar 45 fixes the bass "problem", though I consider that part of the soul of a JTM. A couple of other mods help it deliver "that sound" people want. Master volume too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom