JTM45: Bright Cap or No?

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I Vote No. (for now) LOL

I just used the neck pick up in the vid. Before the cutting of the cap, at lower volumes there is some unwanted brightness (for my rig/preference). I think the JTM will blend better when jumping the channels without the cap, especially as a pedal platform. Gonna leave it off for a while and see what happens.

If you have experience with this circuit, what do you do?

Equipment is all in the video description on Youtube.com

Last edited:

louis

Don't know if this could be helpful but five years ago ,..a friend of mine
who was a good tech lowered the value of the bright cap or raised it, not sure how the numbers work !
so instead of being piercing,...........still had some highs but a lot softer and pleasing to the ears .

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
I put a 100p in mine, I wanted more warmth when I turned it turned down for really nice cleans but still wanted a little bass cut when running on 7. I think most put 500p in them which turned down can be a lot of treble.

Or I'll use the normal channel lol.

OP:what I didn't read or see in the video is where your vol setting is. On your clip I preferred the bright cap. I thought it was a good demonstration of the difference.

Last edited:

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I run mine as a pedal platform and always use the normal channel, because at the volumes I play the amp at, it just sounds better to my ears. I wanted to cut it and see what happens jumping them again. May be easier to dial in what I think it should sound like without it. Or maybe It won't. Have to give it some time. I have several friends that snip their's which became their preference, but none of us really play the JTM up above where the cap gets defeated. The more you turn it up, the less it becomes in play... I think the subtlety of snipping the cap for my rig is a good Idea right now, but I suspect I'll change my mind 20 more times between now and god knows when... haha. I agree with @DrainBamage... There is no right answer. I couldn't agree more with that. I am glad I made the video though, cuz its cool content for the YT, and also forces me to get on here and learn some things from people that know more than me. So cheers to all of you!

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
I use mine the same way most of the time. It loves the pedals and modulated effects sound so good! When I'm doing ambience sounds it's my go to amp on the normal channel.
The normal channel has been my go to for months really. So now that I have it dialed the way I prefer... I wanna find that with blending them... cuz as a visual guy, jumping the channels looks cool! HAHA

Hacksaw

Time Warped
The normal channel has been my go to for months really. So now that I have it dialed the way I prefer... I wanna find that with blending them... cuz as a visual guy, jumping the channels looks cool! HAHA
You might not have seen my question above since I edited it, what was your vol set to?

I had to have more knobs so I added the ppimv and I really like how it works with the 45. I run around 2-3 on my vol control and on MV about 9:00. I love this amp! :D

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
@Hacksaw I have a PPIMV on mine too. I run it at about 9. as in 9/10 or 4 o'clock. I had the High Treble set on about 3 or 10 o'clock for this video. After about noon on the HT volume, the cap starts to disappear...so I figured 3-4 was a good place to hear a difference, which I did. I typically run my normal channel the same way. Which is another way for me to be consistent. If I go back ant watch say my Manilus Vintage 62 pickup vid, where I use the same guitar... its a good constant for the "Cap v No Cap" video, for me.

I started this discussion on C-Tone FB group too, and Nik said he may include a push/pull like he does his plexi amps to bypass it. It wouldn't add any extra switches so keep the tradition look, but have the option to bypass it or not with the pull of a potentiometer. That guy always has the logical answer to everything.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
@Hacksaw I have a PPIMV on mine too. I run it at about 9. as in 9/10 or 4 o'clock. I had the High Treble set on about 3 or 10 o'clock for this video. After about noon on the HT volume, the cap starts to disappear...so I figured 3-4 was a good place to hear a difference, which I did. I typically run my normal channel the same way. Which is another way for me to be consistent. If I go back ant watch say my Manilus Vintage 62 pickup vid, where I use the same guitar... its a good constant for the "Cap v No Cap" video, for me.

I started this discussion on C-Tone FB group too, and Nik said he may include a push/pull like he does his plexi amps to bypass it. It wouldn't add any extra switches so keep the tradition look, but have the option to bypass it or not with the pull of a potentiometer. That guy always has the logical answer to everything.
Ha I hope you like the master vol as much as I do.

Thanks for the info! Your Amp sounded great.

I should add a push pull, I got a couple other amps that would like that as well. Fun to tinker with these things. :)

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
Ha I hope you like the master vol as much as I do.

Thanks for the info! Your Amp sounded great.

I should add a push pull, I got a couple other amps that would like that as well. Fun to tinker with these things. :)
I'm such an amateur something so simple as a push/pull wouldn't never occur to me... and here I am on another thread, trying to pick out transformers. Cheers man! And thanks for the info as well. I'm here to learn.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '07 Bluesbreaker RI.......so not exactly a JTM45.........but close enough.

When I was not using my Power Station with it (so lower volumes) the brightness was annoying for me. So I clipped the bright cap on Channel I. I left Channel II alone.

The result...........much better (for me).

Last edited:

DMVGuitar

Is there a mod to make a switch rather than cutting it? At a outdoor gig that higher end may help, but in a room at small pub may be overwhelming.

Visual Guy

Silver Supporting Member
With a cap it's good for a band, without a cap it's good for your bedroom...
I play in my band. Normal channel only. No cap. It's awesome. I really don't think in makes "that" much difference. For bright guitars like strats on anything but a neck pup, yes... but it's a JTM 45, a classic Marshall circuit. It cuts without this cap in a band setting. But if it works better for you in a band setting, ROCK. AND. ROLL. Cheers!

Trending Topics