JTM45 clone -- Schreyer Audio EDS45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zep41, Feb 26, 2008.

1. zep41

zep41 Member

Just picked up the Schreyer Audio EDS45 yesterday. Its basically a JTM45 clone, but 45 watts. All I can say is WOW! The tone is even fatter than a vintage JTM45, but just as punchy with that "marshall" type crunch!

http://www.schreyeraudio.com/EDS45.html

the bright inputs are very bright and touch sensitive (as I would imagine is the case with any plexi) and the presence, mid, bass, treble controls all work together very welll and you can dial in many different sounds and even add more crunch by turning all of them up.

I used a jumper to link the normal and bright inputs which as most know, allows you to mix and match sounds with both the bright and normal volume knobs. This adds some great KT66 overdrive and every note I was hitting felt very full and again every chord had a nice crunch.

I have owned The Kraken (Schreyer's 45 watt 6L6 combo amp, 5f6a circuit) for about a year now and I love it. The EDS45 is a very similar sound and feel but with a fatter and crunchier tone. If you are looking for a JTM45 clone that is very versitile and affordable (considering what other top of the line clones go for) you should check out Earl Schreyer's EDS45.

I am going to try to get some soundclips up sometime soon.

2. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Any Chassis Pics? How is the amp out of the box loudness wise? Do you need an attenuator? I have been admiring from afar, but worried it might be too loud won't get the goods at low volume, but doesn't sound like it from your post? Can it do Clapton early tones, that might be dumb question...actually, I'm leaning toward the Cream tone these days as well..thanks for posting.

3. zep41

zep41 Member

I dont have any pics except the ones on Schreyer's site. The chassis, however, looks like any JTM 45 or JTM45 clone pics I have seen. The KT66 tubes look really cool too. I can tell you that at volume 3, the amp is loud enough for me (I play in a group where the drummer is loud and so is bass) and at that level it delivers just enough crunch but still remains fresh, if that makes sense. Any more volume doesnt make the amp much louder at all, just adds crunch and drive. I cant tell you if its too loud for you or not, but I know its fine for me. An attenuator is a good idea to try. Searh ebay for the Tube Cube --- very good well built attenuator at a great price.

One way I would describe it is just like Clapton early tones. Think Bluesbreakers or Cream when he didnt use a fuzz. Sounds just like that, even at volume 3-4. If you add a fuzz like the Fuzz Face to this amp, you will wonder how you ever did without. Its the perfect combo and sounds exactly like Cream.

I do have a few short clips of the amp, but I have no clue how to post em. I'll do a search now to see but does anyone have any quick instructions on how to do so?

4. zep41

zep41 Member

Anyone have any easy instructions on how to post clips on here?

5. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I believe Marc Ford uses Schreyer amps, so you're in good company!

6. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

zep41, I've never posted clips but you have to link to them, have to have the hosted somewhere else like Soundclick. Maybe somebody with more info can help you out, but that's the basics.

7. zep41

zep41 Member

That he does. he has the EDS45 head with matching cabinet, a custom 57 twin and I think a Fender deluxe 1x12 -- all made by Schreyer Audio.

8. zep41

zep41 Member

that makes sense..... I think I can do it over soundclick.......

9. zep41

zep41 Member

OK done.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=591703

The clips are played thru a Les Paul with Burstbucker #1 and #2 in the neck and bridge, respectively. The tracks labeled "both" are with both pickups activated. All clips are guitar straight to amp.

I also have 3 clips of the Kraken (Schreyer audio 45 watt 5F6A combo amp) that are with the same guitar. It should be noted that the EDS45 was played out of the speaker cabinet that holds the Kraken. The speakers are two Weber Alnico Vintage 12in. So its the same speakers used for all clips.

10. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Thanks for the clips, I may find the circumstances are right to pick one up down the road...nice to see slightly lower pricing when so many amps are over 2K these days also.