1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

JTM45 in a box...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Barnaby, Hardly, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Anyone got any recommendations for pedals that get close to sounding like a cranked JTM45?

I just bought a Ceriatone based JTM45 clone which I will be running clean...
    I'm covered for boosts and mild OD's but am looking for something that's gonna work well in conjunction with the amp for that maxed-out sound.

I figure that one of the JTM45 voiced pedals would be an obvious choice, so what's out there? Are the Zvex Box of Rock and Menatone Workingman's Blue the front runners here? Anyone A/B'd the two?

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Big vote for the BoR. What can I say - it sounds very Marshally and very good.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I thought the JTM-45 WAS in a box :roll

okay...not that funny.

I know the Cot-50 is very nice for that.
    Also, I get amazed by the Guv'nor, from Marshall. No one usually mentions it when talking about the Marshall sound, but I think it does a great job.
    Even though I have a JTM-45 clone, (Germino Classic 45), I am not however sure if the Guv'nor is meant to be plexi, or JTM-45 sound?

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hi Al, The BoR certainly was awesome through the amp (just FYI, it's my old amp he's got), but had quite a bass hump. So if you were switching it on and off it would sound a little strange with more bass being kicked in each time you hit the BoR. But as an "always on" effect the BoR was awesome. You've probably already seen my comparative Jtm45 vs BoR clips, but here's a link just in case you missed them - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=314775&highlight=jtm45+rock .
    The King of the Britains is really flexible and can do Jtm45 or Plexi tones, and is just killer through a clean amp. I didn't receive it in time to try it with the Jtm, but I expect it would have been awesome. As I am no longer using a clean amp, my KotB is actually currently on ebay (just do an ebay search if you're interested).
    The Indyguitarist Plexidrive, I did not like through the amp, and sounded very different to the Jtm45's own distortion. Maybe it was more Marshall 18W sounding than Jtm45.
    I never got to try the WMB pedal, but if it's anything like a BoR with TMB controls, then it will possibly be the one to go for. It's such a pity that Menatone's are so expensive and so hard to get in the UK ! Maybe you could try that dealer you got the Klon from !! :AOK

5. asintoras

asintoras Member

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

My Zvex Box Of Rock sounds alot like my cranked Marshall JTM45.

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Seriously... amp makers should just sell JTM45 clones with a Zvex BoR. They are made for eachother. If you want the cranked JTM45 tone without cranking your amp, the BoR is the best way to go, by far.

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

The Menatone WMB cops that JTM-45 sound very well and, like the BOR, also has a Boost channel.

9. KCWM

KCWM Member

my vote is also for the Box of Rock. It's a good pedal, even with a clean, Fenderish type amp...like the best of both worlds.

10. Barnaby, Hardly

Barnaby, Hardly Member

Cheers for all the tips fellas.

The COT50 has me kinda intrigued. Anyone know how much gain it has on tap?

11. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

The Box Of Rock is designed to work with a Marshall Amp.

This is from the Zvex website...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overview:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Box of Rock (TM) is Z.Vex Effect's first "distortion" pedal, highly specialized to simulate the "everything on 10" sound of a classic Marshall ® JTM45 non-master-volume amplifier. You may use the Box of Rock effectively with many different amplifiers, but to get the sound I heard when I designed it, try it through a Marshall at least once. You may use your guitar's volume control to adjust for the exact amount of distortion you need, all the way down to very clean and clear with most drive settings. You will notice the words "distortron engine" on the Vexter version of this pedal (no, that's not a misprint) on the pedal. This is what I named my distortion circuit... call me crazy. On the hand-painted version, the stomp switch on the right is labeled "ROCK" instead, because our paint brushes are too wide for so many small letters.[/FONT]​

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I'm a huge Lovepedal fan and was really never a big fan of the Zvex stuff but the Box of Rock is where its at. you could also Stick it at the end of the rest of your other OD pedals, assuming you have them. and use it as a volume boost.

13. FAC

FAC Member

Call me crazy, but I use the Box of Rock with my Victoria 20-112 and is sounds wonderful. It might not be the amp he designed it for, but it sounds great. I tried it versus the King of the Britains and the BoR won (actually, I went there to purchase the KOTB, and walked out with the BoR).

14. KCWM

KCWM Member

I realized tonight that the ZVex BoR and my modded blues driver (with monte allums H20 mod) do very similar things, as they are currently set. The BoR is bassier and the BD-2 has a more trebley sound.

I have the BoR settings at the following:

Boost - 9:00
    Level - 8:00 - 9:00
    Tone - 12:00
    Drive - 2:00 - 3:00

The BD-2 is has the following settings:

Level - 9:00
    Tone - 12:00
    Drive - 12:00

Here's the big difference...

Where the BD-2 is currently set is pretty much the limit of where the tone and drive knob can go and still sound good. I've found the sweet spot of the pedal. This is the third tube amp I've used it with and, while somewhat limited, that's consistency at its best.

The BoR obvious has a lot more volume left, and the tone and drive settings have more sweetspots available. Plus, it has the whole boost feature available. The BoR is an extremely versatile pedal. Yeah, it might have a bass hump that doesn't work with every guitar/amp combination...I won't deny that. But, there are so many sounds available to it.

The Box of Rock is the first purchase I've made, pedal/guitar/amp wise, that I've ever made that I feel certain about. I have a nice les paul and a nice strat, and I'd be willing to move those for the right deal. But, I don't see myself moving the BoR unless it's to get one of the nifty hand painted versions.

Again, it doesn't do the heavy gain thing within my set up when I'm using my strat, but it does more than enough to cover the whole classic rock sound. I remember I asked the person that sold it to me if I could get Pearl Jam sounds with it...because I'm a whore for Pearl Jam. That's the driving force behind my drive to find the sound I want in a drive pedal. It's not the pedal they use, but it gets me what I want.

Now, I'm just babbling.

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Never tried the BoR, but my Lovepedal FAB 50 with the Angus mod simply nails that AC/DC Marshall tone - and I plug it into a BF Super Reverb. A COT 50 is a pretty much the same animal, so I would expect you could get very satisfactory results.

As far as a previous question concerning gain - the COT is a low gainer, but the beauty of the pedal is that it works its magic without having to resort to a bunch of gain. Warning! - both the FAB 50 and COT 50 work best with an amp that is already cooking a bit - I wouldn't recommend them if you run your amp squeaky clean.

16. TYY

TYY Member

Menatone WMB does this very well.

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The BOR is good, but check out the Fulltone OCD, it too is a JTM45 in a box and very dynamic in relelvance to picking dynamics.

TheGrooveking

18. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have, and like, the Fulltone OCD (v3), but I don't hear anything 'JTM45' about it.

19. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

A BIG +1 for the BoR.

20. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just got one last night. It is a winner