jtm45 purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robfusari, Sep 21, 2005.

1. robfusari

robfusari Guest

im up in the air if i should buy this jtm45 marshall head...its selling for 8,500.00 . i currently have a jcm800 '86 lead series marshall. It sounds decent. Wondering what the 45 would bring me that the 800 is not....Is it worth the dough..Looking for amp that does classic rock..and white stripes type tone.

2. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Dude , get the Germino Classic 45......all the vibe and at a fraction of that cost. You will be very happy !!!!

Smoke'

3. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Doesn't Jack use a Silvertone though?

4. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I would buy the JTM 45 as an investment only. It's not an amp that most would be comfortable playing out with any regularity. You also don't need to spend that kind of money to get the tone. It's a very simple amp and you can pick up a quality knock off for under $1500 I'd guess.

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'm not disin the Germino's, sure they are great amps, but don't leave out the Clark MTC-45. http://www.clarkamplification.com/blackface45.htm#MTC-45
    One thing I don't think people know is that Micheal Clark does a ton of restoration on old amps and rolls that knowledge over into his production amps.
    I own a 45 of his and its a wonderful amp! Can do great jazzy cleans and classic rock sounds. Hard to explain but its a very organic amp, you feel like your playing the amp and its coming back at you. His amps just have this extra mojo.
    One thing I know for sure is the quality of the parts and construction is above and beyond the competion! First thing you notice as you unpack the amp, and what a job that is! lol Little things like the toogle switches are large and don't feel like toys. The control panel is etched, nothing to ware off. Then when you fire it up the controls feel so smooth and they actually have a large range that works. I could go on and on, need to post a reivew of this amp and I will in the future, but if you really want the low down give Bob call at The Perfect Note he can fill you in much better than I can and will be more than willing to. He's Clarks dealer and very knowledgabel of the amp. 413-283-5592. I have no conection with them, just love the amp!!!

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

The good thing about an original JTM 45 is that vintage stuff has continued to rise over time in value. No good reason to think it is stopping now. But, if you just are looking for the basic tone and the investment or the idea of having the real thing does nothing for you, there are things that are way cheaper of course.

I love the Germino Classic 45 as well. Really a great builder IMO for that style.

Evan.

7. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Marshalls are my favorite amps and are all I use. Did rely on AC30s for a number of years and even a nice duo of black face Super Reverbs but Marshalls produce my sound. However, I would never pay $8500 for one. You can find a great sounding 70's 4 input metal panel for under $1000 or even an early 70's PTP wired one for $1600 or so. In my opinion, these will sound much better than a JCM 800. I personally have never bought any of the new boutique Marshall clones although I did try an Aiken once that sounded great. Have also heard the Germino and Mojave. Roccaforte supposedly also makes a great Marshall sounding amp. There's probably even more out there to check out also. My thought is though, why buy a knock-off when you can get the real thing?

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Usually a Silvertone (the one with the 8x10 cab) with a Twin, sometimes a Selmer.

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm going to sound like a real jerk here... why in the world would you buy an $8,500 amp to try to get the tone of a Silvertone, which are very inexpensive amps...

10. Colt

Colt Member

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You have just been trolled.:D

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Hmm, strange question. Silvertone amps (and Supro/National etc) get their lo-fi ratty overdrive from under-spec'd OTs and 5Y3 rectifiers. A great sound but not one I'd like to live on.

The JTM45 is a super-smooth clean to crunch machine with just the volume knob. Clean is much better than the metal panel, and distortion just gradually comes in. A good one is a killer sounding amp. BTW, it sounds more like a cranked Fender than a Marshall, listen to the difference between the Bluesbreaker's Beano album with Clapton vs most of the 70s rock and you'll hear the difference. $8500 isn't a bad price, and they are going out of sight (the last Bluesbreaker I heard of-same amp in a 212 package-went for $15k). Be sure you're getting the real deal, though.

13. Babaji

Babaji Member

...Original Plexi JTM 45's can be all over the place sonically.
    That can be a good thing! Most are very clean until fully cranked(11!). They are also very loud at max volume, but are amazing...But you can't play them like that in a club. In the mid 1990's they sold for $1000-$1200. in good condition. I much prefer the steel chassis JTM 50 watters(67-69) as they tend to break up sooner and have more of that Marshall "Personality". Unless you have lots of cash...Check out some of the clones that were mentioned. The 1970-1972 period of Aluminum panel 50 and 100 watters are also a good choice, but sound more consistent to each other than the Plexi's do. Plexi's have their own individual "Personalities". Check out the 50 watt Aluminum front Mashalls...They are hand wired(1969-1972...73 is the first year of circuit boards) and can be great sounding. They are LOUD!
    Bill

14. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've played just about all the boutique Marshall clones (I live in LA and have access just about to everyone talked about on the gearpage). I've owned two Germinos, countless Marshalls, etc... My Classic 45 is great, but the real deal "can" have a vibe that is pretty elusive, even for the best boutique manufacturers. Of course, for everyone vintage amp that sounds magical there are one or two of the same amp, that probably don't. I just recently played a vintage JTM45. It sounded great, but it did sound like a cranked Fender with a little tighter bottom, a little more mid punch, and a little more gain. Cleaned up great with the volume knob. It's hard to believe that you can buy a Vintage amp for $5K to 10K and make money by having the prices go up, and I buy a boutique amp for $1,8000 or $1,900 and sell it at a loss. With all that said, I'd still buy the boutique for the simple reason that I'd be way too afraid to take a vintage amp like that out for gigs, jams, or touring. It would take half the fun out of owning it.

15. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

You should buy the JTM45 so long as it was the one that was on Ebay not too long ago. Only because I did the listing for the guy who's selling it and I get a 10% comish. Otherwise, take everyones advice above.

16. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'm not doubting you but did you play Mike Clarks 45?

17. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've never played Mike Clark's 45, but I'd sure love to. That guy makes amazing amps. Damn, I wish he'd get an LA dealer.