JTM45 Reissue in a 1x12 Combo - G12M or G12H?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Hey y'all -

Now that I also have my Club 40, I'm looking to move my JTM45 reissue head into a 1x12 cab (like a 1974X). This would be a "grab and go" amp and I'll most likely get the Mojo or Sour Mash cabinet.

Normally I play this amp thru a 2x12 cab with a Creamback M+H pair, and I love the results. For a 1x12, which would be the better speaker for a JTM45 reissue - the M or the H?

The winner will most likely be a Creamback or a Scumback. I am considering the new Creamback Neo also.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ches

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a JTM45-ish clone, and I'm going with the M. Right now I'm trying the head with just a single 1x12 open back cab, and I like it.

Roe

speaker should handle 50+w. a g12m may sound weak at higher volumes, especially in the bass. I'd try a g12h-75hz or a -j75 (40oz) scumback.Also the pvc series kill with jtms

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
speaker should handle 50+w. a g12m may sound weak at higher volumes, especially in the bass. I'd try a g12h-75hz or a -j75 (40oz) scumback.Also the pvc series kill with jtms
I forgot about the J - that's a great option.

Reactions: Roe

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
This.
I severely dislike most M magnet speakers with JTMs

Dannyz

How are the G12H30 70th anniversaries in a 4x12 configuration with a JTM 45 head?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Could you not go for the old classic G12-65?
From my experience, the 1265 only works with ridiculously bright amps. It has too much top end roll off for my ears. I had a Heritage G12-65 and couldn't make it work with any of my amps.

hacinador

The Celestion Gold should be great at that. I am building a JTM45 copy now and I want to use a 112 cab with the Alnico Gold. I tried the Marshall JTM45 years ago with several different speakers and I liked Celestion Alnicos (the Blue and the Gold) the most.

Combo cabs for 18watt chassis are usually only about 8 inches deep, it might be not deep enough for KT66 tubes...

Reactions: Roe

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
The Celestion Gold should be great at that. I am building a JTM45 copy now and I want to use a 112 cab with the Alnico Gold. I tried the Marshall JTM45 years ago with several different speakers and I liked Celestion Alnicos (the Blue and the Gold) the most.

Combo cabs for 18watt chassis are usually only about 8 inches deep, it might be not deep enough for KT66 tubes...
The JTM45 reissue uses 5881s, not KT66s. As for the cab, the one I'm looking at is 9" deep. I'd still prefer a 10.5" cab, bust that will prolly cost me more.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
From my experience, the 1265 only works with ridiculously bright amps. It has too much top end roll off for my ears. I had a Heritage G12-65 and couldn't make it work with any of my amps.
That's a fair comment. I actually have a 1x12 Two Rock cab with a G12-65 (heritage) in it, and I agree, it's a seriously dark speaker.

logen99999

I would get something with a medium size magnet that gives you volume levels on par with a greenback. The jtm45 is loud as hell and the lower volume speaker will let you crank the master a bit higher to get more overdrive.

Just my 2 cents. I figure most people don't run 30-40 watts wide open at gigs.

Reactions: Rod

hacinador

The JTM45 reissue uses 5881s, not KT66s. As for the cab, the one I'm looking at is 9" deep. I'd still prefer a 10.5" cab, bust that will prolly cost me more.
Yeah, I know, the reissue has 5881s, but the amp can take the KT66 too. There is nothing bad about 5881s, they are nice tubes for the jtm45. I only want to let you know about problems that can happen with KT66s and not deep enough combos.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Yeah, I know, the reissue has 5881s, but the amp can take the KT66 too. There is nothing bad about 5881s, they are nice tubes for the jtm45. I only want to let you know about problems that can happen with KT66s and not deep enough combos.
Thank you for that.

Ron W

Cable Guy
Platinum Supporting Member
Have you spoke with Bob at Sour Mash? I was looking at doing the same thing with my JTM50. He'll make the depth whatever you want and the extra cost was minimal. He'll even do a 1x12 in the Bluesbreaker Series 1 style cab. Very retro :)

pbmw

Timely you should mention Sourmash.
I have a 212 with a pair of Golds in that I use with one of my JTM45's. It's that early Marshall sound to my ears. Kills at Mayhall and Clapton stuff.

Trending Topics