JTM45 too much for a single G12H30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Jul 8, 2006.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

If I don't turn it up past 7 or so?

I can swing a combo cab for my Ceriatone JTM45 if I can use the only 12" speaker I've got lying around, a G12H30 Anniversary model.

I'd like to get the combo setup before the week after next, but I can't swing a new speaker and the cab at the same time.

If I keep a lid on it, the Celestion should hold up OK, right?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

aren't jtm-45s only 30 watts?

if so, it would work for sure.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I think the output depends on the tube compliment. Mine has two Valve Arts KT-66s. Even if it's rated for 30 watts, it can push more if it's really clipping. That's why I thought if I keep it less than full throttle I'd be OK, at least for a while :)

Doesn't Celestion rate their speakers kind of conservatively, too?

4. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'd go with, say, a Vintage 30, which is rated at 60 watts.

5. Broken

Broken Member

Don't put a V30 in it, 45's sound terrible with them. You need a 2x12 with G12H's or Greenbacks

6. 1964

1964 Member

Emi Wizard

7. Skip62

Skip62 Member

It took over 6 months to ruin my Greenback with my JTM45. Greenback's only rated for 25watts. I used 6L6's and EL34's. It wasn't until I got carried away for about month that it gave up and sounded really squirrelly on me. Just my "1" experience, may not be true the next time.

Roe likes this.
  8. doctord02

doctord02 Member

At 7 you are already over the full undistorted output in all likelyhood; I believe there is a similar discussion where John Phillips laid that assumption to rest. I have a JTM45 that I built and I'm willing to bet it puts out over 30 watts when its at 5 on the volume control. Plus it's not just the wattage, its the whole package - volume, transients, frequency, heat, vibration, yadda yadda.

I wouldnt risk it.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Broken is right, PLUS VINTAGE 30 are fizzy S$#% speakers, ....imo, sorry, but I FREAKEN HATE THEM

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You'll be sniffing a 30 watt speaker pretty quickly using it with a JTM 45...always use 2 speakers with them...or keep your local speaker reconer's number handy.

Here's a true story. My first Scumbag amp client, using the dual 6V6 model (10 watts clean, 19 dimed...er...elevened :D ) wanted to use a G12-65. No problem, got one at OCSR with a Celestion kit in it. 1 yr warranty. 65 watt power handling should be no problem, right?

Yeah, except he had an attenuator, and he "occasionally" put an OD and a few other pedals in front of it. 14 months later, the speaker fried, went open voice coil, took out a resistor and a pair of 6V6 tubes, too.

Can't say as to whether it was the attenuator, or the speaker, but I suspect the attenuator...but...moral of the story, went with two Pre Rola 30 watt G12H30's, and no issues for the past two years.

If you're going to tempt fate with a JTM 45, I think 65 watts power handling is the way to go...minimum. I run mine through a 2x12, just to cover my butt, although they're 30 watt 12's.

11. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Let me see if I have this right: a ~19 watt amp dimed blew a speaker with a 65 watt power rating?:eek:

Has anybody else heard of something like this happening, or was this just an unusual occurence? I know that transients and clipping can blow a speaker that is overrated for the amp it's used with, but I didn't realize that it could blow one with that big of a power handling cushion.

12. krash

krash Member

howabout an Eminence Wizard. All of the tone of a G12H30 with 2.5x the power rating and a coupla dB more efficiency to boot.

It's also much redder :)

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've been reading speaker threads like a madman the last couple of days. I'm convinced that I should bite the bullet and just get a different speaker.

The Emi Wizard sounds like a good bet, but I got bug-eyed reading the 135+ page Emi thread! The Tonker sounded like the right choice for a while, then the Texas Heat popped up, now there's the new Neomag versions. Oh man!

I want nice piano tones and glassy/Hendrixy cleans on the Fendery guitars and a tight bottom (no farting) with a solid punchy midrange for my OD Gibson sound.

What's good for that?

Thanks for the replies. I'm spinning into a hole pretty quick with all the options :D

14. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

My condolences. That has to be the biggest thread ever. I gave up at 40 pages.

If you're going with an open back 1x12 cab, I'd recommend the H55-16HP for deeper lows with the Strat/Tele style guitars, and H75-16HP if you have enough lows already, or use LP/Humbucker guitars. I find most JTM 45 clones put out a LOT of bass, I run mine at 2-4, for example with the H75 model Scumback in a closed back cab.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm gonna' tell you guys that I got a set of Scumback 65 watters that pretty much stood up to the punishment of a Splawn 100 watter and came through with flying colors.:cool:

16. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I read in one of Gerald Weber's books that Billy Gibbons runs a JTM-45 through a G12H-100 in an open back cab. I have one in an old style Dr. Z open back 1x12 and it handles everything I've thrown at it, like a Demeter TGA-3, Budda Stringmaster, and Dr. Z Route 66. I know it's not very popular around here. It's a little dry in the mids, but the bottom end stays nice and tight and I don't have to worry about the wattage.
    FWIW,
    Rick

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

+1 on the Eminence Wizard.

75 watts and they dont need to be broken in (translation) they dont have that raspy high mid hump that the Celestions come with but loose after a year of solid playing. The more I listen to this speaker (currently in my SDG Vintage Tweed Proluxe) the more I like it.

18. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Would a 30W be OK in a 1xEL34 (or 6L6) combo, woth 15W OT ? I use dirt pedal, but rarely drive my amps to the max, I doubt if I will this one.

Thxs

19. electricity17

electricity17 Supporting Member

Creamback H should work as an option.

20. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

I'd say the creamback h would be a good choice.