JTV Variax Owners - What do you use to stop the string buzz behind the nut?

M

Member 1762

I read on this forum before receiving my JTV 69 that there might be an issue with the strings buzzing behind the nut and sure enough I'm finding that with mine.

I noticed in a couple of the Line6 videos that Sean Halley had had what looked to be a pony tail holder wrapped around his headstock for what I assume to remedy this issue.

Is that the best way to do it? Are there other ways that have worked for you?

a2dconverter

Hey Jarrett,

I use a small piece of fuzzy velcro under the strings... almost invisible :)

24.jpg

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

3dognate

Lets just put it out there and state that this is not just a JTV thing... Most of my non-angled head stock guitars and at least one angled headstock guitars suffer from this, , I dampen behind the nut and dampen tremolo springs also. Once I realized what I was hearing and was able to isolated it, I hear it plain as day on nearly every guitar without a locking nut I pick up....

M

Member 1762

Lets just put it out there and state that this is not just a JTV thing... Most of my non-angled head stock guitars and at least one angled headstock guitars suffer from this, , I dampen behind the nut and dampen tremolo springs also. Once I realized what I was hearing and was able to isolated it, I hear it plain as day on nearly every guitar without a locking nut I pick up....

I've owned two actual James Tyler guitars and they did not exhibit this issue. In fact, I can't think of another guitar I've owned that exhibited this issue.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned A LOT of high end guitars over the years and I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the JTV69 for what I paid for it. I was expecting Fender quality and feel I got a lot more than that. It actually feels more like a boutique guitar and I didn't expect that. The neck feels great and that's half the battle in my book. It feels a lot like my old fave Landau Classic.

That said, this guitar has an issue that needs to be fixed. Nothing major, just a little tweaking. I expect this is a possibility at this price point. If this guitar had been built by James Tyler himself, I would be upset, but knowing it popped off an assembly line in Korea and was designed with a price point in mind, this is not a deal breaker for me. Just something that needs to be addressed, and I'm trying to not reinvent the wheel but rather seek out solutions that others have had success with here.

Last edited by a moderator:

burningyen

Ringing is normal, but buzzing isn't. Did you try pressing on each tuner as you plucked to see if maybe there was a loose part rattling?

M

Member 1762

Ringing is normal, but buzzing isn't. Did you try pressing on each tuner as you plucked to see if maybe there was a loose part rattling?
If I press down on the high E and B strings just behind the nut as I pick them, it stops. Just trying to figure out the best way to solve it.

I might just take it to my local luthier and let him go through it. I'm sure he'd have a more eloquent fix than I would.

veritechc

I've had my JVT 89f for two years. Never once have I noticed buzzing anywhere on it unless it's my sloppy fretting technique, lol. I had it set up professionally when I first purchased her but since then I learned to do setups myself.

And I'll agree with many above in that none of my 9 guitars exhibit this buzzing. I think this is a solution looking for a problem.

burningyen

I've had my JVT 89f for two years. Never once have I noticed buzzing anywhere on it unless it's my sloppy fretting technique, lol. I had it set up professionally when I first purchased her but since then I learned to do setups myself.

And I'll agree with many above in that none of my 9 guitars exhibit this buzzing. I think this is a solution looking for a problem.
Your 89F has a locking nut. Not the same at all. And OP actually hears buzzing. So it's a problem looking for a solution.

3dognate

Right I'm referring to the ringing... I've nothing that buzzes behind the nut. Yeah. make sure everything in the tuner is tight.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
People do this for higher gain all the time. It's not a Variax thing. It's a guitar thing. I don't play high gain, so I don't care myself...

Viabcroce

I never applied any string buzz remover on my Variax (or other guitars), neither felt the need to do it.
the subtle string dissonant resonance on the headstock (and/or behind the bridge saddles) is part of the natural sound of a guitar, I do not want the sound of my guitar becoming as pure as that of an alto recorder

There are indeed several Variaxes that work flawlessly. OTOH, an online research and reading (the Line 6' forum might be enough) shows that several users have experienced issues, and not only of this kind. So it can actually be a concern.
The problem with the Variax concept is that it's not (only) any guitar, and on some items these mechanical artefacts do affect the way the processor generates the modelled sounds.
In general, I find that responding "I have no issues on mine" is not really helpful when someone expresses a concern about a known issue :)

True. But on a Variax these resonances can affect the modelled sound, which defeats the purpose and the concept's specificity IMO.
Such issues can be connected to those of a normal guitar only in the case they don't affect the DSP's work.

Your 89F has a locking nut. Not the same at all. And OP actually hears buzzing. So it's a problem looking for a solution.

This.

:)

3dognate

True. But on a Variax these resonances can affect the modelled sound, which defeats the purpose and the concept's specificity IMO.
Such issues can be connected to those of a normal guitar only in the case they don't affect the DSP's work.

Not sure where I stated otherwise... so I'm not clear what your point was, other than to chime in to educate the regular people with words of wisdom...:bow

veritechc

Oops! You are of course correct. I actually prefer Floyd Rose bridges and 7 of my 9 guitars have them. I once again show my inexperience but that is why I love this forum. You all have educated me a bunch on guitar and music. Thank you for setting me straight.

Along those lines: could his problem be a bad or incorrectly setup nut on the guitar?

3dognate

Oops! You are of course correct. I actually prefer Floyd Rose bridges and 7 of my 9 guitars have them. I once again show my inexperience but that is why I love this forum. You all have educated me a bunch on guitar and music. Thank you for setting me straight.

Along those lines: could his problem be a bad or incorrectly setup nut on the guitar?

You can get a buzz at the nut if the string break angle is shallow and the nut slot is a little wider than needs to be. I have a Tele with a reversed head stock and even though it has staggered tuning machines I still had to add a string tree to the low E&A strings to get rid of a buzz in the A at the nut. But if it buzzes at the nut it'll only do it on that string and only when open.

Oh... and if the truss rod nut is loose and has no tension at all the truss rod and / or truss rod nut can cause a persistent rattle if the tuning machines are not the culprit... snug that thing up even if it requires no relief tension.

Unnecessary

Every guitar I've ever owned has had some resonant frequencies either behind the nut or in the case of the Kahler-bridged guitars, between the ball saddle and the string saddle. Most people would never notice it on clean-medium gain settings. High gain and staccato rhythm playing will bring it out, though. For me, I don't want any non-fundamental based harmonics/frequencies, so I use a fluffy hairband with a velcro strap behind the nut (even on locking nut guitars, its quieter, but still there) and a small piece of foam in the bridge saddles with the Kahlers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom