JTV59/69/89 Variax Reliability Issues?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MG90, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MG90

MG90 Member

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with the new Variax guitars? I had a couple of the old Variax and the electronics where cheap and broke down. Anyone experience a breakdown with the new ones?

I am also wondering what the cost is to replace electronics... the boards, piezos etc. If the warranty is over and the board goes, or a piezo...what is the cost?

Thanks

2. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've had mine for almost a year. No problems at all. Replacing the board would be expensive, I don't know how much. Usually the problems with these guitars have been the piezo wires going to the board, but they fixed that problem with the JTVs.

3. MG90

MG90 Member

I would like to see a parts list with pricing before I buy one...What if the board is done and L6 wants $1000 for it?

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Because I'm now a 2/3 member of this 'Dream Rig' club, I'm now thinking about the Korean JTV...the dobro/sitar etc do seem interesting!

5. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

That ain't gonna happen. They never sell parts independently of their dealers. You can replace the piezos with aftermarket ones, I believe.

6. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

I've had a JTV 59 since September with no reliability issues at all.

7. MG90

MG90 Member

I need to know the repair costs then.

8. MG90

MG90 Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I wonder, for every "problem" posted there (which is a great place to post problems) how many guys with no issues (like me) there are. I did just get mine a very short time ago, though.

I don't think that you can assess long-term durability of this yet, but one thing is for sure. I'd never buy an item like this used if I could help it. Most electronics problems seem to happen right away in the first few weeks of owning a product (if not instantaneously) and having warranty is HUGE... imho...

10. tonyhay

That made me hesitate too. But you have to put it into perspective. Out of thousands of items sold, there are going to be some issues that need fixing, inevitably. The comments on the forum (which by the way is on the Line 6 site), are also inevitably going to be more about 'what went wrong' rather than 'what went right'.

Even on that forum, the frequency of new problems seems to have reduced a lot over the past few months.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Yes, there were early problems (bound to be) but the product should have matured to the point where the kind of excellent out-of-the-box quality I experienced with mine should become the norm...

There are a LOT of guys still rockin' their original Variaxes, too.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

My 59US has been rock solid with extensive usage - live and studio - without any hitches.

13. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I have not had my Korean 59 for long, but so far it's been pretty smooth.

Interesting thing about the discussion board, there seems to be one that is just devoted to support, and therefore it's about questions and problems. There are a couple others at the Line 6 site that are for users sharing info and it's a whole different thing.

Like this one:
    http://line6.com/support/groups/james-tyler-variax

14. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

i have a korean jtv69 and it had to go back to line6 once. it had something loose in the bridge area that they "tightened up". once the guitar is properly intonated and in tune, it's great. you also have ot be sure you've got no fret buzz. intonation and fret buzz can make the 12 string models sound bad with nasty overtones. once that was fixed however, the guitar is excellent in sound, fit and finish. feels good in my hands and plays well.
    i agree with the above posters that stated:
    1. you will never see a parts price list or a repair cost breakdown (unless you find someone who's been there, done that and will share a copy of the bill with you)
    2. the vast majority of users have likely had a positive experience vs. the complaint thread at line6. if you have a problem, open a thread there and if it is legit, they will pay to have the axe sent back to them, fix it under warranty and pay to send it back to you. i know this from experience.
    HTH

15. tonyhay

I agree, and I think it has matured to that point.

16. epluribus

epluribus Member

Can't say about the guitar specifically, but I've had exceptional experience with Line 6's service...they take good care of their stuff.

--Ray

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I had a 59 with no probs and now have had a 69 for a lil over a week with no probs. Both are fantastic guitars, IMO.

18. rcl

rcl Member

I dropped in some sheps in my korean 59 and had it plek'd. I pick it up today from that ordeal. The fretboard was a rollercoaster. It also wasn't overly playable at GC< but that is GC for you. They throw anything on the wall. Neck needed a major tweak.

That said, the quality of the build seems solid. After some glue for the frets to hold them in place for the plek(lots of offshore builds just push them in), it came out great. Havent seen the printout yet, but I am very much looking forward to messing with this sucker. Sooo flexible. Added to the axe-fx...anyone ever play violin with a resonator?

19. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

i love my 69 but it has had some issues, but i had one of the first ones so they've changed a few parts in the manufactoring process already. line6 currently has it. A lot of people complain about the high 3 slipping. if you get a 69 there is a really good thread that explains how to tweak a few things to make your guitar even better. I wouldn't get rid of it but it's been a little tricky for me to get it to play the way I think it should, i've had some issues around the 12th fret which i think might have been fret leveling problems because i had the thing set up professionally twice and it still didn't resonate correctly.

20. BakerySpecial

BakerySpecial Supporting Member

I think these guitars are very cool, however I have seen and heard issue with palm muting, which makes me wonder if the variax models maintain the same dynamics as the guitars it is modeling. I have not played one yet myself to see if this will be an issue. Owners, what is your experience with picking dynamics on the variax models??