Jubilee owners - what settings are you running?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stephenwz968, Nov 30, 2013.

1. stephenwz968

stephenwz968 Supporting Member

Hey all, I have a 1989 2554 that I rehoused into a 2x10 built by Sourmash, I didn't like the boxy tone of the 1x12" and it was heavy as could be, so I had Bob build me a 2x10 out of pine, and it's definitely a winner! I'm running it with 2 JensenMod50 10" speakers, each at 8ohm wired so they're producing a 16ohm load, with the amp adjusted to match.

I've gigged with it once since I rehoused it, and had gigged with it prior in the 1x12, and both times I was surprised that I needed to bring the master up to around 7 to get through the mix. I run it on the Lead Channel, the Input Gain at 7, Lead Master at 7, and then run the tone stack as Treble 4, Middle 6 Bass 8, and presence at 2. I like the tone, and it cuts through great at the higher MV setting.

Messing around with the settings is a ton of fun - if I run the master volume wide open, and use the Lead Master as my "volume" and run the input gain at 7, it sounds glorious...but I'm not used to running things wide open, and wanted to gather some input from those that have used these amps in the past.

I know the preamp and power amp tubes are 6 months old (JJ pre and Winged C power), it's dead quiet, and sounds great - but just wanted to see if having to bring the master up that high (and use the lead master to control volume)was common practice.

TIA!

[​IMG]

2. mikey

mikey Member

Those settings are pretty close to how I ran my Jubilee. My main amp for years was a 50 watt Jubilee head with a 4x12 cab. I used a little less gain & a slightly more mids & presence and set the lead master around 7 to get a mix with the "clean channel". The rhythm clip mode was active as well. As far as the master it varied but it was usually pretty high, these amps seem to be a little quieter than other Marshall models IME.

That cab looks pretty sharp btw!

3. stephenwz968

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the response and the compliment!

4. jj113054

jj113054 Member

As a channel switcher, pull rhythm clip, rhythm master & lead master noon or above, output master 7 or above. Tones to taste. Roll back volume on rhythm channel for cleans. Rhythm clip pulled lowers volume of lead channel but there is plenty of volume to burn anyway. This makes the combo a useable switcher live. With rhythm clip not engaged you might as well use only the lead channel, & it is superb!
    JJ

5. stephenwz968

6. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

rhythm clip pulled (although i'll pop it in for a few 'clean' tunes. gain around 11 oclock on rrhytm, maybe noon on lead. i use it as a channel switcher. similar eq to you

7. groove machine

groove machine Member

50 watt 2533 owner here. I run the Input Gain(rhythm clip off), Lead Master, and Output Master at 7. Treble, middle, bass, and presence at 5.

8. stephenwz968

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I was running the master low and the clean volume (mine is modded with this knob) and lead master high. On another forum, I tried running the master higher with the channel volumes lower and love that. I miss when I was able to crank my 2553 with the band. Here are my current settings from memory:
    Clean vol: 3
    Input Gain: 6
    Master Vol: 6
    Lead Master: 3
    Bass: 7
    Middle: 6
    Treble: 7
    Presence: 7

In general I rarely use the rhythm clip, I would if it were footswitchable. Mainly just the clean and lead channel and use pedals when I need mid gain tones. I often goose the Lead channel with a Maxon OD-808 setup as a boost.