Judge my re-tube choices (CDR content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheoDog, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I was planning to do the usual "what tubes does TGP suggest" thread. But, since I was already experiencing som analysis paralysis, I knew I didn't need more options, so instead I made some choices and decided to asked what you players think (while I wait for delivery).
    Why the new tubes? I am 3 months in with my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. It gigs 2-3 times a week. We travel across 3 states with the amp in the trailer (road case). I notice the last few gigs that the tone was a bit more shrill with what sounded like an odd resonant peak. My non-expert guess was that the cheap stock tubes weren't taking the road wear well and something might have ended up microphonic.

So, using the tube dealer sticky sites, I chose tubes based on my use and the suggestions from KCanos, Doug's, and TheTubeStore.
    I ended up ordering from the Tube Store since they had a wide selection at fine prices, reasonable shipping, and were actually open this week (no offense to KCA).
    I chose current production tubes to control cost ($180 after shipping) and reduce the liability of a traveling amp- same reason I don't chose to gig vintage/boutique amps and guitars.

Here's what I got
    V1 Svetlana 12ax7
    V2 Tung Sol 12ax7
    V3 JAN Philips 12at7wc
    V4 Tung Sol 12ax7
    V5 JJ ecc83-s
    V6 JJ ecc81
    V7-v8 TAD 6v6GT-STR (matched)
    V8 TAD 5AR4

I am using the "normal" channel of the CDR which is marketed as a Bassman tone stack and I use the reverb and Trem pretty often.
    Pedal board runs RetroSonic phaser, Keeley Red Dirt, Keeley 4knob Comp, Diamond MLjr.

So, how did I do?

Seth L and s360guitarist like this.
  2. TheoDog

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think Shuguang tubes sound good (the makers of TAD). But when their tubes go bad it seems like they take out a fuse.

4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I think you did good with the pre-amp tubes. Personal choice, but I would have used EH 6V6's. They sound great in a vintage DR. Should sound good in the CDR, also. Second choice would be JJ 6V6's, if I needed more headroom.

5. fareye

fareye Member

I agree - think they sound really good. Thankfully, I haven't had one go bad or take out a fuse (fingers crossed).

I think TAD and Ruby are the selected Shuguang tubes (the good stuff). I rolled a few preamp tubes through a tweed Princeton clone and the Ruby HG sounded best - I'm pretty amazed actually and it's not an expensive tube. I also have a TAD 6v6 in it and think it sounds great! Also like the Tung Sol 12AX7. I do like the JJ 6V6 but don't care for their preamp tubes. I'm sure you'll be happy OP!

6. TheoDog

Thanks.
    The Tung Sol are described as the lowest noise pre's, and since the Custom Deluxe Reverb has that audible noise floor due to its negative feedback loop, I thought I would see if that makes a difference.
    I was originally considering the Tung Sol 6v6 since they are described as pretty durable, but the TAD have similar descriptors, and are a little better value.

I am fully aware that many choices are just rebrands from the same factories.

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I liked the new Tungsol tubes in 6v6, 6l6 and el34.

8. TheoDog

Brief update. Tubes arrived super quick considering shipping from Ontario.
    Only gripe is I had to sign for it.
    The JAN Phillips 12at7 seemed to be a dud. In v3, reverb driver, it caused the tremolo to fade out. Same effect in the v6 phase inverter spot. Really a mystery.
    Called the Tube Store and they are sending a replacement with no RA needed. So, great service so far.

Gigging the new tubes this weekend, so tone report pending.

9. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I like your choices. I've been a Tung Sol fan for a while, but recently tried Svetlanas and really was impressed. I think you just got a rare dud on the 12at7. I have them in my effects loops and they've been flawless.