Judicious use of Boss pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Interceptor, Feb 18, 2012.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I have a trusty Boss CS-3; not very popular around these parts but it does the job for my compression requirements (I like the pop of the attack). I use it right near the start of my chain (after a wah, tuner, fuzz and envelope filter - all true bypass). The pedal chain then contains a bunch of other true bypass pedals, including some boutique stuff. Near the end I have a Boss TR-2 (newer unit with no volume drop).

So, in my application, these couple of Boss pedals do the job they were intended to do, plus provide some buffering to an otherwise true bypass setup. I reckon this is just fine.

I had my eyes on a Wampler Ego compressor, but if I grab that and replace my gumby CS-3, I will need to put my MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff on the pedal board to provide buffering duties. For my application, the Boss solution is just fine.

Discuss.

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i have a trusy hammer
    . . . but i'm looking at one i've never used before
    it's purdy

we ain't talkin' hammers. . .

i realize that

you like the pop?

don't stop

make music

3. gear007

gear007 Member

No doubt! I've been using a cs-3 w/ my acoustic for leads for going on 10 years now. It's never failed me. Just got back for a 4 hour gig using it. Boss bashing is not much else than cork sniffery. I have to admit I am very intrigued by the mad professor and diamond though. :)

4. cribcage

cribcage Member

Is it actually true that TGP bashes Boss, in general? I see a lot of threads where somebody posts, "I know it's not popular but I love my Boss ____ pedal," and invariably a half-dozen people will immediately agree.

There are several Boss pedals in the first few pages of the Emporium right now.

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I got over my life long fear of Boss pedals, and I love them now, at least the ones I have. I always thought they were boring, but sometimes its nice to have an effect do its job in a 'plain' way. My Boss reverb, tremolo and delays all sound just how I want them too. I may even add more Boss pedals in the future. After trying so many pedals, I can appreciate a good solid no frills effect.

6. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

Personally I love Boss and think they make a ton of great pedals. Sure they have some stinkers, but with the sheer volume of pedals they have produced over the years it's to be expected. There is a reason Boss pedals show up all the time on Pro boards.

7. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

boss sd-1 still boosts my fuzzes/distortions :). I like the tone it gives 'em.

8. teleclem

teleclem Member

I like some and I don't like some. True for most brands really.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I used to hate Boss pedals, but then I listened to them.

The DD7 and the DD20 are fantastic, and I currently have an old OD1 on my board that has a sound I simply can't get anywhere else.

10. gmann

gmann Member

Yeah, what this guy said! I have a Boss Flanger that I've had for 12 yrs. I only use it for one thing but it excels at that. I've never thought about gettin' another type. If your pedal is workin' for you keep it. How many times have we seen someone post I had a, fill in the blank, and replaced it with a, fill in the blank, and wished I had never sold it. If I had all the money back I've spent replacin' stuff that didn't need replacin' well, I guess I'd buy more stuff. It's the way of the world, the Gear Page world anyway.

11. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

I have 5 on my board now. TU-3. OD-3. DD-20. DD-5. RV-5.

I'm a big fan of plenty of others.

I've never been too cool for Boss. I never will be.

12. JRBain

JRBain Member

There has been negativity towards Boss pedals. Mostly gullible snobbery, though, or maybe justification of overpriced pedal purchases. ;)

Anyway, I love Boss. The DD-2 is my delay of choice, the SD-1 my OD of choice, I have a BF-2 and an HM-2, I'd like another DD-2, DM-2, RV-2, RV-5, DS-1, CS-2, OD-3, DD-5, DD-7, GE-7... It would be quite the collection. :D

13. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

i love my hf-2. so does the rest of TGP, so it would seem.

and i used to be the biggest boss snob ever. still am, in a way. but i make exceptions for vintage MIJs.

14. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Actually, I think the CS-3 is a great compressor unit and I also dig the pop and snap of it. Foolishly traded it for a CS-2, which was allegedly 'better' somehow (Gilmour used it), but it didn't do me as the CS-3 did.

Morale: Use your own ears, go by what works for you. The Boss stuff is cool, many good, workable and easily available units.

15. vanguard

vanguard Member

i completely agree. any company that basically defined vibrato, chorus, analog and digital delay 30 years ago and, honestly, still has the trump cards in every one of those arenas really shouldn't be thought of as lesser.

16. JRBain

JRBain Member

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I have no beef with boss. My CE-1 is a staple, and I have a modded CS-3 coming. I wouldn't mind a DM2 either.

18. chervokas

chervokas Member

I think the CS-3 has a pretty good reputation actually. But sure there's lots of anti-Boss snobbery around here. The Boss pedals are OK. They're not always the be all and end all of transparency, and I'm not so crazy about the JFET switching, just as a physical matter and personal preference, I like the "feedback" that a click from a mechanical switch gives me. And some of the input output schemes of those Boss pedals that mix wet and dry signals include pre and de emphasis circuits which is a little too much signal processing than is necessary in bypass. So, like anything, there are plusses and minuses. But the knee jerk reaction around here that all things Boss suck, and all things boutique rule, is just childish.

BTW, the Boost N Buff buffer isn't really a direct replacement for the CS-3 buffer. The BnB has a 5M ohm input impedance -- the CS-3 a more amp-like 1M ohm input impedance. The BnB most likely deliver audibly brighter sound than the CS-3 used as buffer.

19. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Lots of Boss pedals on my board. :munch

20. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Love Boss too. Currently using the BC2 Combo Drive, a couple of GE7s (albeit modded), and an SD1. The NS2 is the first pedal I reach for if I have any noise problems with the rig. The Line Selector is also a KILLER pedal, ├╝ber-useful. The OD3 and BD2 will also always be close by. All great tools.