Juice Box 50 tube amplifier attenuator by TubularMods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otter5555, Apr 2, 2015.

1. otter5555

otter5555 Member

first of all, i don't work this company and i am not paid to push their products. in fact, i know NOTHING about the company.

i DO know that this attenuator WORKS exactly as advertised.

i bought one several days ago and have connected it to:

my old 68 plexi, my 82 jcm 800 my mesa single recto, my 6505 combo, my bugera 6262 combo, my dsl 40c and a few more amps that were WAY too loud for playing at home.

yeah, i could mess with the volume setttings on the amps with masters to get the levels way down but the power sections were not doing anything and the tone always suffers.

with this thing connected i set the masters where the power tubes are well into their tonal sweet spot and then turned the dial on the unit down until the volume was at what i consider a nice bedroom level.

my tortured ears can't see any tone degradation at all. i haven't changed any of the tone controls on any of the amps and they all sound great and feel great. also, after a couple hours of playing the unit is only a little warm to the touch. no huge heat buildup.

so, if you've been looking for an attenuator that won't break the bank or kill your tone this may be the one. FOR ME, it IS the one.

i'm only using 2/3 of the available attenuation and am very happy with the results.

as always, these are my opinions based upon my observations with my gear.

X-Mann likes this.
  2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Are you still using the juice box?

3. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

I picked one up a couple months ago. Works great for my needs. I am not an attenuator snob and can't see myself wanting to drop several hundred on a better one.

Rod likes this.
  4. otter5555

otter5555 Member

yes, i have a pair of them and use them with several of my tube amps. they work great.

Rod likes this.
  5. Rod

Thank you.... for saving me a lot of $$$

6. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

I'd be interested too.

All my little and slightly larger amps have MV (the PPIMV whatever, if applicable) and I get by (i.e. cannot attest to missing the Power Tubes cooking) but perhaps I need to get to know what I'm missing by using some sort of attenuator. For the $$$$ this looks nice and low-risk to try.

Anyone know if this device is just a giant potentiometer with ample cooling, or are theresome tricks to keep the sound as much as original as possible (i.e. has anyone opened one up yet ??).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  7. Rod

From the description on Reverb, it sounds like it's a big 100 watt L pad......heck, if it lets the amp sound great at lower volume, I guess that's all that matters.. for $85

8. jau1982

jau1982 Member

Hey I have one of these - I use it for church so I don't have to crank my Fender Supersonic 22 - works great and gives me the tone I want. I emailed the guy back and forth some and I think it is just a one man operation and yes the price was well worth it considering the more expensive options. I haven't opened it up but I may do that just do get an idea of what is going on.

9. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

Still the love for this? Im likely to use it with a JTM45 clone, to keep the amp at 6 vs less than 1. I was looking at the unleash v2, but its also a fair chunk of change greater.