1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

juice up a silvertone 1484?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brad347, Jul 21, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

My buddy just got one of these (on my recommendation so I feel kinda responsible...) and he says it isn't quite loud enough for him. Is there anything that can be done to juice up this amp? I know the OT is a little small-ish... any ideas?

2. lord preset

lord preset Member

My first amp was a 1484. The best way to improve the volume is to sell it to someone who thinks that old=vintage and buy a bigger amp. These amps were steaming piles of poo when they were new and they still are today.:rolleyes:

3. brad347

brad347 Member

the guy has decided he likes it now, so whatever. I think i'm through 'helping' friends find cheap amps that sound good.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

yep! It's a 1962. Matching headstock, OLD nitro body refin (refinned in 60s or early 70s probably)... factory gold hardware! It sees the most action of any of my stuff with the possible exception of my '53 triumph regent (but then i've been doing a lot of jazz lately). With both pickups on it's the best funk rhythm guitar sound i've ever heard, and through any amp you put up. It has just the right "bite," and it has it in spades. If you've listened to old james brown records you know what i'm talking about... this one has it. Observe:

Neck pickup alone is heavenly. I even used it on a "sort-of" jazz record. Observe:

I have graphite saddles on it (original 'string cutter' saddles put safely away) and keep thomastik-infeld roundwound .012's on it. Has the best neck ever. I'm truly lucky to have it. Thanks for asking.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If he's using the stock speakers, upgrading the speakers would help a lot.

6. brad347

brad347 Member

I think it has vintage C12Ns in it. What would you suggest?

7. hasserl

hasserl Member

Nothing "wrong" with those.

There was a thread on these amps on the Les Paul forum a long time ago. I have it saved in a pdf file I could send to you if you want it. Is you email addy in your profile?

8. brad347

brad347 Member

should be, if not all my contact info is on my website if you don't mind an extra click or two. Thanks!

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

Lots of negitivity here, that's a very cool little amp. I modded one for a friend by using the mike channel to overdrive the guitar channel. I also changed to a Marshall style single knob tone control for more brightness.

We replaced the speaker baffle and speaker too and that damn thing really smokes, Billy Gibbon's type crunch at reasonable volumes. That smallish OT saturates nicely and gives the amp a smooth sag.

10. brad347

brad347 Member

yeah i always loved the sound of those amps too.