Juke 1210 clips: trem, vibrato, OD

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by hawkeyeinexile, Nov 7, 2005.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    so yesterday d-o-c & i got together in his office studio and recorded this stuff [bless him for his patience, skill, coffee, and especially whatnot].

first, obligatory excuses, disclaimers, so forth.
    this Juke is almost 3 years old & running on the original tubes. time for a re-tube, preamp tubes at least, but i'm bucks down & that'll have to keep for a little while. apologies to Gary Croteau, Chapin Guitars, Heritage Guitars, V-stack for flubs & random suckage - their products deserve a better representative. also, i don't use a pick & performance can be affected by how much manual labor has been done recently.

this is what the amp looks like:
    [​IMG]
    and here's a link to the control panel layout.

now, we started off with this guy here, the first Chapin Strata-Houla, Velvet Hammer pickups, [​IMG] and did some bluesy chording in A, neck pickup, amp settings @ noon pretty much, which is where Gary Croteau , the designer & builder, suggests beginning. All five- or six-string chords in the middle of the neck, 6ths, 9ths, a 13th, etc. d-o-c tweaks the tremolo, vibrato, and reverb controls while i strum. a little "Pipeline' towards the end for trying different pickups, low notes. low-gain input.

Misc. chordage and low notes

next, same guitar, neck pickup, messing around with "Apache". lots of simple open chords, single and double-stop melody, mostly in the open position. i wander around the tune & sometimes pause to listen to the guitar-amp combination for different things. just like being in a store (only here we didn't have to compete with kids & screaming Crates or anything like that). i think Master was 3/4 and Gain 1/4.

Apache riffage

then, same guitar and "Rumble" with Gain cranked up and Master down to about <1/4. bridge pickup, on amp Presence is down, mids (Tone, Contour) are about 3/4, tremolo (AM Depth) and vibrato (FM Width) are about 3/4 and Speed about 3/4. Note: p'ups are pretty low output.
    high-gain input, Gain footswitch button engaged.

Rumble

finally, switch to this guy, a Heritage Millenium Ltd. Ed. (#28),
    [​IMG] for "Harlem Nocturne" on typical humbucker, medium output. guitar is on neck p'up (Seth Lover) both controls up full. melody is @ 5th fret and 10th fret with a couple open-position chords.

first pass clean, 2nd pass w/V-stack Classic: bass 3/4, cut 1/4, Drive 2/3, Master 1/3.

Harlem Nocturne

thanks again to d-o-c for all the work (post-production cleanup & editing not overlooked) and hosting the clips.
    also, note the room is real small and that last clip was recorded under pretty voluminous (;)) conditions. nowhere near what the amp is capable of, but a Croix de EarBleed to David anyway for his forbearance :D

:cool:

Page of Cups likes this.
  2. 6789

6789 Member

Thanks for making the clips. I'll listen in a few minutes.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Cool! Thanks for making the effort guys! Sounds good!

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks for doing that guys! Unfortunately I just put my daughter to bed......
    You'll get my comments tomorrow.

Best, Pete.

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Sounds phenominal, thanks so much fellas, you've done the community a huge service! Dying to put my order in.

-TJK

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very Good Demo clips, guys. It's nice to be able to hear the different features (next time do Deserted Cities of the Heart for vibrato :D ).

Sharp waveform on the tremelo, much steeper than my Vibro Champ, more like the one on Clapton's "Run Home to Me" (almost certainly outboard) and the same speed as his voice vibrato, nice effect.

Lovely stuff.

Best, Pete.

7. 6789

6789 Member

I burned the clips to a cd so i can hear them on good speakers. sounds great! it's weird how the reverb isn't very noticable until you turned it off, then I could notice that it was missing. Thanks again! people have been waiting for clips of this amp for a long time. I'll try to make some clips of my Victoria Regal and post them too.

8. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

Thanks for taking the time to do these - I've wanted to hear one of these for a while. It definitely has its own thing going on. Overall I really like the tones though.

One thing's for sure - that trem/vibe sounds addicting . . .

9. 6789

6789 Member

Hawkeyeinexile, when you are in the room playing with the Juke amp, does the reverb sound like a mid sixties Ampeg reverberocket?

A friend of mine has a mid 60s reverberocket and it sounds magnificent and the reverb is terrific.

10. hawkeyeinexile

i've got (& use) a '61 r-rocket and yes, it's very much like that. actually, i prefer the Juke's reverb. more behinder & surrounding and can get deeper, somehow.

i rilly rilly gotta get this thing biased & some fresh preamp tubes, then redo this. but at least you'll have some idea for now...

11. 6789

6789 Member

It sounds like a great amp!

12. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Its for real! I am very happy to own one... and working on two...

13. hawkeyeinexile

thanks, all, for the comments.

i forgot to mention it was run in Pentode mode the whole time, Ultralinear switch to the beefier side.

some have commented on the number of controls, somewhat intimidated. i think the layout is very logical & got used to it real quick:

you have tone and volume to the left side.
    then a little 3-knob reverb section.
    then a little 3-knob trem/vibe section.
    then a presence knob.

neat. just like having an outboard reverb unit and an outboard tremolo-vibrato unit, but it's all on-board. and Gary does all that with just 5 preamp tubes.

S. Hawk, which one you eyeing now?

tedz, enjoy the trip to Portland.

if anyone calls Gary Croteau or stops by in Troy, NH, give him my best.

14. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hey Hawkeye... Its a 112. I kicked, spat on, humiliated, and cursed myself for snoozin' when a dude from NY was selling one that had 2 X 10's a few months back... And told myself never to pass one up again! I got lucky to work out a cool deal from a cool guy that is willing AND VERY KIND to hold the amp for me until I get the funds! Should be before Christmas!! Very lucky! To me, Juke amps are complete! And, the ultimate! Its still hard for me to get it that I have one right here!!! Thanks for asking! And, great samples!! I enjoyed them!

15. 6789

6789 Member

When I get back from portland, I'll make and post clips of my Victoria Regal.

The Regal's trem doesn't go as deep as the Juke's. The reverb is different than the Juke - but both amps have great reverb. The Regal's reverb get more like a surf reverb when turned way up. The Regal gives a huge, full deep sound which I love. I can plug in a thin sounding guitar on the bridge pick up and dial up bass and make it sound very usable when that guitar would be too thin sounding on other amps. If were able to compare a Juke next to a Regal, I might go for the Juke if it can give as deep and full of a sound. I might like the Juke's trem/vibrato more.

I tried a Carr Rambler and the sound/tone sounds different in each mode - pentode/triode. Does the Juke sound different in it's different modes? Or does the tone stay the same and just the volume drops?

16. hawkeyeinexile

i remember that well, just a few months ago.

& tedz, the Triode mode lowers the output and (to my ear anyway) makes everything sound a li-it-tle smaller & more - i don't know - compact? same thing with every Rivera i've owned (5 or 6). since both brands are master-vol, i rarely used 'em in anything other than Pentode.

the ultralinear switch is interesting (it's in back on the chassis) - works only in Pentode mode and tighten or increase bass and low mids (again, to my ear).

(thanks, S., for the encouragement - i'm thinking of future, better examples, esp. the Reverb section)

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Nice work Jeff (& David) - sounds great!

18. hawkeyeinexile

wayne, i'm blushing. all y'all, check out his clippage on his links to hear why. :eek: :eek:

also, i got a hot tip from Gary "Juke" Croteau on improving the reverb. will try, then post results. alsoalso, am getting the Juke re-biased & maybe re-tubed. more on that & results later, too.

19. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

WOW!! Improve the reverb???? Man its a tough act to follow as it is now!!! I gotta hear it!

20. Rig James

Rig James Member

Please let us Juke owners know what the reverb trick is. Imagine a better sounding reverb??
    JAMES